Friday, November 19, 2010

Inspiration Friday Party No. 13!

I see them every year. Buried at the bottom of one of my bins of Christmas Decorations. I take them out and lovingly look them over while memories come flooding back.
And then, I put them back in the bin where they will remain until the next year.
What are they?


Our childhood stockings! I don't know how my hubby ended up with two of them...did Santa just like him the most?

Doesn't the denim one just scream, "I used to be bell bottoms!"?
I've never really known what to do with these.
They don't quite...Ahem..."Go" with my Christmas decor, you know what I mean? But, they always seemed so forlorn just sitting in that plastic tub while all of the other decorations were unpacked and given places of prominence around the house.
So, I finally decided to do something about it!
Can you guess what it's going to be?


I'll give you a hint...they were stiched together...


And became a darling Tree Skirt for my son's Christmas Tree!

*Please note that my son decorated this tree entirely by himself*

I just love how these look now in his room! The color pallette is perfect for his space and they add that touch of nostalgia that I believe is so important this time of year. 
I ended up needing to bunch them up a bit with the skirt to get just the right effect and I think next year I will maybe try a new fabric for the skirt but for now, they are charming and my son will be so surprised when he comes home from school today to discover it!

I'm linking this up to Fabric Fun Thursday!

Let's move on now to some fabulous High-Lights from last week's Inspiration Friday Party!
But, before we do, let me just tell you that it is almost physically painful to me to have to pick out only a couple of folks each week to showcase. It is that People Pleaser sickness in me I guess! I really just want to showcase everyone's wonderful creativity but I know that isn't the way it's "Done" so I'm sticking to my method of picking Bloggers who are fairly new to this community and giving them a chance to strut their stuff!


And on that note, let me introduce you to Kelly from Crazy We Go.
These are some of the darling ornaments she is creating to decorate her Newlywed Nest this year!




Aren't those absolutely lovely? Kelly has also done some amazing projects recently to make her first home a truly warm and inviting space. Hop on over to Crazy We Go to see more from Kelly!

Next up is Judy from DIY by Design. Let me tell you that it has been an absolute treat to get to know Judy and see how her fabulous eye for design is creating a truly gorgeous home for her to share with her family. She isn't afraid of color and has just recently redecorated her daughter's darling room. But one of the things I really appreciate about Judy is how she repurposes things!
Take these shirts for example...


She took her daughter's Gymboree shirts, which she had outgrown, and turned them into this...

Is that not one of the most darling Tooth Fairy Pillows you have ever seen!!?? I will never look at my daughter's shirts the same way again! Thank you for sharing this creation with us Judy and for your lovely blog, DIY by Design!

Please take a minute and say "hi" to these lovely ladies!

Now, what have you all been up to this week? I know there has been a flurry of activity going on in all of our homes as we prepare for the upcoming Holidays and I can't wait to see what wonderful creations you have come up with! Recipes, ornaments, decorating, crafts, musings on life and family...all are welcome here at Inspiration Friday!
*Next week the Inspiration Friday party will be on vacation to honor the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend!*

P.S. I know it says this in the linky instructions below, but PLEASE be sure to make some reference to the Inspiration Friday Party in your post or just grab my button over in the sidebar. Thanks!

Here is how to link up...
1. Add your Permalink to your entry but not your General Blog Address. To get your Permalink, click on the title of the blog post you are wanting to submit and copy and paste the address into the URL box. You will also have to add your address but it will not be visible to anyone else.
2. Do not try and Link up until you have actually published that particular post on your blog.
3. Please link back to the host blog, Southern In My Heart, so that those who visit your blog will be able to find some wonderful Inspiration from everyone else!




46 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Vanessa, the old stockings make a very cute skirt for you son's cute tree. Thanks for hosting.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Vanessa, What a cute idea to use the stockings for a tree skirt. I still have my son's first stocking and I do the same thing every year. Pull it out of the bin, look at it, and back it goes.
xo, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Cute skirt Vanessa!

Thanks so much for hosting!

Melissa Miller said...

Vanessa what an adorable idea! The stockings are just precious.

Thank you for hosting your inspiration party each week. We appreciate you and the time it takes.

Happy week! ~Melissa :)

Pamela said...

i love vintage stockings! My mom made me one of those felt ones with sequins and what not. I have had it since I was a toddler. She said it took her a year to do. I bought two to do for the boys because I love um so much and well they still are in a bag in my sewing room four years later!:(

Tricia said...

Hi Vanessa! I love the way you reused those stockings. I have a lot of decorations that I just don't love anymore...I wish I could think of something to do with them :)

Patti's Artful Design said...

What a wonderful way to use these "bottom of the bin" stockings! We all have them! Thank you for sharing!

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

That is a genius way of repurposing "old" yet memorable items! Love it :)

Sue said...

What a fun way to use the old stockings that just didn't quite "go" with your decor, Vanessa! I think it's sweet that your son is decorating his own little tree. Our son used to do the very same thing! I think he liked it as a night light...LOL Thanks for hosting, always love to come visiting everyone. hugs, Sue

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, I love what you did with those stockings! That's such a great idea.

Thanks for hosting and letting us show off :) Ummmm....did you spend the family fortune at Ballards, lol.

NanaDiana said...

Vanessa- I love that you used those old stockings. Now..when your son is grown and on his own you package those suckers up (just like your Momma did for you) and you guilt trip him into taking them...Every year after that he will go through the same agonizing choice that you did (although his wife may make some of those decisions for him)...Did I do that? Moi? hugs-Diana

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Cute cute cute Vanessa!! Love that idea! All linked up:) thanks for hosting!I

Unknown said...

What lovely holiday decor! Your son did a great job :) and, as always, thanks for hosting!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

What a cute idea to repurpose the old stockings! Your son did a great job on his tree!
Thanks for hosting!

Karen said...

These are adorable. And what great inspiration to use them in this way! I too have some oldies but goodies I made when we first got married. They had individual toes. :) I'm going to be checking out for a few days, so if you don't see me around you will know I'm relaxing, cooking, and enjoying family. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Cute idea for the stockings! My 50-year-old one still hangs at my parents' house. Wonder what I'll do with it someday ...

Vicki said...

Vanessa, I love your tree skirt. What a great idea! You just had to display them, and this is perfect! Thanks for sharing and hosting. Just in case things get busy...Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your beautiful family.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love the tree skirt you made from the socks. How perfect is that. Your son's tree is just wonderful, and how fun for him to decorate it all by himself. Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

Melanie said...

That is a great idea for your old stockings that are precious to you.

~Kristin~ said...

Vanessa,
I think I have a stocking just like the one with the sequined Santa!
Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for always being the hostess with the mostess! You're the best!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I LOVE this idea, Vanessa. It's so lovely and festive but original.

I'm so sorry for linking up twice. It didn't appear so I did it again....I'm going to sit on the naughty step now....

Sarahx

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Vanessa, those stockings are so precious. What a great idea to preserve their history. I have one a felt & heavily sequined one, too. I must apologize -- I ended up linking twice because...., well, I just messed up. Do I need a time out? Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
CAS

Debbiedoos said...

Those are so cute Vanessa, such a treasure. I wish I had more childhood stuff to treasure.

DIYbyDesign said...

Thank you so much for featuring my project and for all of your kind words. It made my day (actually it made my week). I have linked up again. Thanks so much for hosting the party.

Debbie said...

What a clever idea about the stockings! I have no clue where mine from growing up is, but I'll bet my mom does. I should ask about the husband's too.

And my favorite thing from your shout outs is that word covered ornament. I want to flatter that my imitation. Love it.

Tire Swing Mom said...

My nephew (who was only a year younger than me and, thus, seemed like a brother) and I had matching stockings when we were little. We had no fireplace so they would hang on the inside of our front door. They have been long gone and I have no idea what happened to them. It would surely be nice to still have them.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I have been so busy working on the kitchen but wanted to link up my progress so far! Thanks for hosting Vanessa!

High Street Cottage said...

Vanessa, thank you again for hosting, this lovely party, hugs tami

michelle said...

What a great idea Vanessa! It looks so adorable under the tree that your son decorated! How sweet!!

Kristen White said...

Using the stockings as a tree skirt is such a darling idea! It turned out so cute and your son will absolutely love it :o) I'm off to check out everyone's projects now....
Kristen

Kelly said...

Vanessa,

Thanks ever so much for featuring me today! I am so honored and feel like a total celebrity. :) Your support means a lot (as a blogger and new nest-keeper!). Thanks for hosting this, and I linked up again!

Also, I love the stocking idea! It's always great when you can find a new fun use for something that's gone "out of style."

Thanks again!

Kelly

Val said...

Vanessa, I love what you did with the stockings. Brilliant idea. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Becca Bertotti said...

That is the ca-UTEST thing you did. And, okay ... seriously, I laughed out loud when I saw the comment about the "former" bell bottoms. LOL. And, then, got a bit teary-eyed seeing how you magically incorporated them all into a tree skirt for your son's precious tree! So, so sweet ... I'd love to eventually see your son's and daughter's stockings added, too! Love it ... you've always got the best ideas! Hope you guys are having a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Becca

Becca Bertotti said...

And, PS: thanks so much for hosting today and for letting me crash your par-tay with the nautical tree I just decorated! Becca xoxo

Traci said...

I love that you put a tree up in your Son's room - I know he enjoys it. When my Son was little, we always put a tree up in his room. He would search for the perfect lights (he loved the bubble lights) and we decorated it with a fishing theme. Brings back great memories!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

What a great solution to the orphan stocking problem. I have the same issue at my house.

Savannah Granny said...

Such cute crafts, Thanks for sharing I am your newest follower. I am also linking to your party, I hope I qualify because mine is not a craft. Let me know if it is not right. Ginger I will be grabbing your button

DanielleisNesting said...

I love love love your tooth fairy pillow. What a cute idea! I was looking for Christmas Decoration ideas and your ornaments are so cute!

KimMalk said...

What a great idea Vanessa. Those stockings will be special to your son, too. Thanks for hosting :).

My Cozy Corner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Cozy Corner said...

Hi Vanessa
I love Inspiration Friday. It is so fun to get the Christmas things out of storage and look and touch each one. Thank you for host this great party and thank you for visiting My Cozy Corner.
xo
Betty

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

Hey Pretty girl!!! I have BEYOND enjoyed getting to know you and grateful to God that our paths have crossed! OK! My hubbie and i are about to figure out this link-ee party stuff cuz i want to play!!! Thank you for your visits and ever sweet comments!

blessings xoxokara

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

By the way...I was going to email you but its not on your info...heres my email and if you want to share your email privately with me, HOLLA back at me :)

kara@elements-interiors.net

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

VANESSA!!!! I DID IT!!! Im on the Paaaartaaay!!! I even managed to get the "inspiration button" onto my sidebar!!
YeeHaw, WoooHooo and a Yippie Skippie!!!

Yep! Im purdy proud of myself right now :)
Gettin better on this computer every day! WHEW!

xoxokara

mariel said...

great great great idea with those stockings!!!! also love the stick ornaments...gonna make some with my boys this year :)

Traci said...

Vanessa, I LOVE the idea of making a tree skirt with the stockings. It's brilliant!!