Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Firsts!

*CAUTION!*
Screen may become wet while reading this post as there were moments of watering eyes followed by brief periods of  Ugly Crying. You know, the dripping nose, can't catch your breath, squished up face kind of crying!
Don't say you weren't warned!

FIRSTS...
First born and first Adopted!
First Pumpkin Patch
(Wait! Which ones are the pumpkins?)
First Cowboy Boots!
(What? Don't all cowboys suck their thumbs?)

First Beach Trip!
First time Fishing. With Poppa of course!
First Bike!
(Gotta love those Grandpa style PJ's!)
First time Moving to a new house!
And...FIRST GRADE!

That's right folks, my baby started First Grade today and while his Mama fought tears all day, this boy was so excited he had his back-pack on a good 30 minutes before we actually left!
He is attending a wonderful little Christian school and when we got there he discovered he was sitting right next to one of his best buddies. I'm sure it won't last long because his teacher will soon discover how chatty they are together and rearrange their desks!
As I hugged him good-bye and told him how proud we were of him and that we would be praying for him today he said,
"Mom, I know you are going to miss me,
but I won't be gone long!"
It took every ounce of strength I had not to
burst into tears right there!
Bless that boy!
Here's a challenge for you...can you find the crying child in this picture?

See her yet? Here is a closer look...
Love it!
Blessings to all of you from this
Southern Girl at Heart,
Vanessa
*And, one more First...I'm linking up with the Simple Pleasures Party over at A Collection of This and That and Chatting at the Sky*

20 comments:

Traci said...

I hope the day flies by for you!

Traci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh, Vanessa, he's so cute!! Looks just like his Dad.

Firsts are always a little anxiety producing - but mostly for moms :)

Christy said...

Oh poor Lauren!! That was a good laugh!!! Serious giggling going on over here :)

How did they get so big?

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Seriously adorable post, Vanessa! Hope the first day was okay for ALL of you! Aww... missing her big brother! Your babies are just beautiful :)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Awe....now I am crying now! I remember walking my baby to the bus stop for kindergarten and is was so small he couldn't reach the bus steps! I wanted to bring him home...instead I watched as he crawled and hauled himself up that first step.

My heart is with you!
Hugs,
Penny

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

How sweet the first day of school and mom is missing him. It will be easier from now on.

Debbie said...

Awwww, I love it!! I well remember our own "first days" here,and seeing this makes me feel old.

I think a big brother was missed by more than his mommy. What do you think?

What a sweet, sweet post.

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

This is just the most precious post! I so enjoyed seeing all of the firsts! What a darling child!

I almost had a nervous breakdown when my youngest started school! I literally went to school with him everyday! He was in a private school and they let me work in his classroom for the WHOLE year! So sad;)! He is 15 now and I still cry when school starts!

I have been on a little break so I am going to check out your posts that I have missed!

Have a wonderful evening!
Cathy

Lovey said...

Oh how precious! First are memorable for sure. Blessings to you all!

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Sweet post! I was doing fine until the, "Don't worry Mom, I won't be gone long" part! Precious boy! Congrats to him!

All That Glitters said...

too sweet!!!! The picture of the little one in the background is priceless!

NanaDiana said...

Vanessa-I loved all your firsts! You did good, Mom...and it does get easier, I promise. I am about to cry though looking at that last litte folorn face behind the door! Blessings- Diana

Heather @Gourmet Meals for Less said...

Oh, oh Auntie Heather can't handle this one. Not sure which is breaking my heart more...that our boy is big enough for first grade or my girl crying cause she's going to miss brother being home. I love that first grader...so much!

Jennie said...

Aww, just priceless!

Sounds like you've done an excellent job with that little boy. He's concerned foremost about *your* feelings. How sweet is that!?

I know just how you feel. My oldest started 1st grade this year as well. It was tough...but I got most of it out my system last year in kindergarten...and the year before that at pre-k. ;)

I cannot tell a lie. I absolutely love those tears through the sidelight. Just precious!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Hi, Vanessa! Welcome to Simple Pleasures. I really hope to see you often. We're a friendly little bunch and there's always room for one more.

This post tugged on my mother heartstrings for more than one reason. My daughter is adopted (she's the only one we have) and although she is now 24, I well remember that first day of kindergarten and first grade and second grade ... (lol). You get the picture. It's hard letting them go, but quite thrilling to watch them become their own person.

sheri said...

Oh man. So great and yet so bittersweet. You want them to grow, find their path and excel -but it means you have to let them walk out the door first. And it stinks. And you cry. Congrats and I'm sorry all at the same time. (big help i am huh?) Great pics - and love your little one in the window. too precious.

Pamela said...

We are now finishing week 3. It has gotten a bit easier but Monday Littliest starts school two days a week. It will be hard but as always we mama's pull thru and even enjoy ourselves from time to time!;)

Melissa Miller said...

Oh Vanessa how sweet are all of the photos! How funny is the crying photo of your daughter peeking. That is just too cute. *Smiles* Your children are beautiful.

Thank you for your kind words on my weight loss story. I really appreciate it. You made me tear up just reading them. Ah...:)

I'm ready to link it up when you post your inspiration party. Thanks again for hosting!

Warmly, ~Melissa :)

Ms.Daisy said...

Loved your pictures of your son leaving for first grade! Wonderful moments and great Simple Pleasure.