Monday, September 6, 2010

One Change...

...Big Difference!

*Before I jump into this post, I want to say a BIG FAT thank you to all of you who participated in my Inspiration Friday Party as well as those of you who left such sweet comments and encouragement on our first Sister Saturday Post! I am always overwhelmed at the graciousness that is out there and it does this girl's heart good! You guys Rock!*

We have been working our way through this house and slowly but surely updating every faucet, light fixture, cabinet knob, etc.
We have a few more to go, but now there is one less light fixture to worry about!

This is the light fixture that I looked at for MONTHS on the Pottery Barn Website and in the catalog...
It is the Depot Ceiling Light and as a mom with a boy who loves trains, it was the name that first grabbed me and made me want to put it in my son's room. But the price, while not horrible, also grabbed me but in that painful way! When you have to replace, repaint, repair, redo as much as we have, and are, and will be in this house, every penny counts!
So, I held myself back and kept on searching, all the while with this perfect light in the back of my mind.
Then one day, while shopping at Fred Meyer (do you have these in the South?) I stumbled across this...


That looks an awful lot like the Pottery Barn one doesn't it?
But...one BIG difference...it was on sale and ended up costing HALF as much as the one from Pottery Barn!
I love those moments, don't you?!
Here is the light in the room before...
Just your basic, builder grade, circa late 80's
early 90's light fixture.

Here is the new one!
Not an exact match to the PB one but at that price, I think I like it even better than the original!
Here is another look at it all lit up...

I love how the middle section also lights up.
I would show you a picture of his room and how the light now looks hanging in it, but honestly, his room was a DISASTER at the time of these photos! I mean, it looked like a Lego shaped tornado swept through it and scattered everything in it's path!
So, you will have to take my word for it that it looks
AWESOME!
Now, I need your opinions on this next room...what a cool feature of this Blogging thing that I can get the advice of all of you talented folks at the click of a mouse!

This is a little glimpse at our playroom and I did not
try and pick up any toys for
 these photos so you'll all just have to step around them!
The green carpet doesn't bother me so much until I see it in pictures and then...sigh...green carpet. What's a girl to do? Anyway...
You see this room straight ahead as soon as you come up the stairs and turn towards the rascals bedrooms. So, needless to say, any light fixture is going to be VERY visible right away!
Ahhh...they are so creative when building these homes aren't they? Here is yet another one of those lovely little brass numbers!
But, this gives you an idea of how the light situation is currently.
Notice that it is really close to the skylight.

So, I need HELP! What should I do in here? I want it to be fun but I also want it to not be too little kid-specific since this room will evolve over the years.
 Should I do another flush-mount light? Like this...

Or maybe something a little more interesting like this...

Or really have more fun with something like this...

(All of these lights are from Ballard Designs)

What do you think? Flex those decorating muscles and bring on some opinions! I'm stuck!
I can't wait to hear what you all will have to say!
Thanks for being there!
 *I'm joining Susan for Metamorphosis Monday ,Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick, and Terrell at Frou Frou Decor! Stop by and see all of the other wonderful transformations.*

24 comments:

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

I love it ! Nice job!

NanaDiana said...

I love the fixture for your son's room. I actually like it better than the Pottery Barn one...it is just more substantial looking, I think.

Ummm...On the one in the playroom...I think you have to decide it you want it to pop out at you when you come up the steps or just be an afterthought..something you would notice after you see everything else in the room.. You could even do some of that mini-lighting that would highlight different pictures, etc. ORRRR>>HOW about a great big old fluorscent light? Hummm? Hmmmm? Yeah...just kidding on that last suggestion! Hugs and have fun deciding! Diana

Kathy said...

The light fixture really is perfect -That is part of the fun of decorating waiting for just the "right one". :-) oh and a bargain!

All That Glitters said...

I love the light you picked out!!! I really like the play kitchen too! No meyer here.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Great light in your son's room! I love it when you can find inspiration in a high end catalog and then find something similar for so much less!

I love the second and third lights you showed for the play room. The second one is more sophisticated and the third one is very whimsical and artistic. I think I would go with the 3rd one.
Hugs,
Penny

Christie said...

Vanessa, I love the light that you found BETTER than the PB one! It looks GREAT! I am terrible about light fixtures and paint for a house, but I will be thinking!
Thanks for stopping by our vacation at home! I left a message with your sister, but think I forgot to come back to you! I enjoyed the Sister Saturday so much! I am terrible about food and cook to feed a family...not so much because I like to! That being said, I LOVE to get inspiration and your Saturday post inspired me to get outside, and to make the roast beef sandwiches! Thanks for the Labor Day inspiration! I hope you have had a wonderful weekend with your sister...love that you have found another way to connect! Christie at Three Pixie Lane

Decor To Adore said...

What an amazing transformation~ well done!

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh that you got the light fixture (which, by the way, I love)at Fred Meyer. I'm always giggling to myself when I go in that store and every now and again stumble across something I love. Set aside grocery shopping, it's the other stuff that draws me to that store.

Yes, I definitely like the Fred Meyer light better than the Pottery Barn.

Have you thought about taking that nipple light and spray painting it an oil rubbled bronze? That will change and update the look with only the cost of paint. Our daughter is redoing some fixtures (and her home is only 3 1/2 years old) in her home and she is spraying a chandy with paint to update it. Just a thought.

Playrooms are meant to be messy. Some day you will miss those messes. I always see Leggos as the sign of a future engineer. Our son-in-law is a structural engineer and I get the biggest kick out of watching him build stuff out of the grands Leggos.

Connie said...

Love your choice for the light. To get at a bargain price...even better.

Stopping by from BNOP linky party.

If you stopped by Fred Meyer then you must be in the Pacific North West, as am I. I love Fred Meyer for their great clearence sales.

Jessica said...

I'm going to say the middle light fixture is my favorite if you are still deciding. They are all so beautiful but of the 3 I sure like the middle one. Your home is gorgeous and everything is so artfully and tastefully done. Kudos my friend!
Jessica

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Vanessa, Don't you just love it when you find something PB inspired for so much less? I like the light fixture you purchased a lot better than the PB one. Looks great!

For the play room I like option number two but it may be too sophisticated for this room. I think I would go with something fun but not childish.
Hugs,
Sherry

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hey Vanessa,
LOVE the light fixture AND the price being so much less!!! GREAT Score!! For the other room ~ I like number 3- only because it is a play room and the light looks fun, charming and playful- have you checked IKEA? I think they had a really fun light somewhat similar to that one not too long ago and they are probably much less than Ballard- though I love Ballard! Anyway, thanks so much for your comments on the backyard party redo! You are so sweet! :)

René said...

Congrats on the great light find! As far as the playroom, the drum shades would be fun.

-Rene

Pamela said...

Loving your son's new light and if we were not ceiling fan musters my boys would soo be getting one of those too! It rocks! As for the new light in the PR I say go for the third. It is whimsical yet sophisticated. It will look great with the skylight there.

Sue said...

Vanessa, Love the new light fixture- now all you need is one of those large globe light bulbs for it. It will fill that large interior space quite well. As for the other room, I think a dropped fixture will lead the eye away from the skylight. Something on a pendant just a little longer than the fixture in the second picture. I love finding look-alikes at a fraction of the cost of the over-priced companies such as Rest. Hdware, PB, Ballard, etc. Sometimes we can find things in the most unexpected places and the thrill of the hunt always gets me excited. Good luck with your choices!
~ Sue

Anonymous said...

I love that new light fixture. I too love most all things Pottery Barn, but the prices do not love me!! I'm always thrilled to find alternatives!
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Great improvement, I just love light fixtures and the great style they can bring to a room! Janell

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Totally awesome fixture. Lucky girl!

The Decorative Dreamer said...

I love the new fixture in your sons room, even better then the Pottery Barn one! I was thinking exactly the same thing as Always Nesting! Spray paint the one you have with ORB! It will look just like choice number one you showed to me! Should be really easy to do. Good luck!

Tristin said...

I think the one you got is even more attractive than the Pottery Barn fixture! Awesome!!

Thanks for visiting Spartan Living!

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm. It's a hard choice on the three lights. I think the second one would go with just about anything, but the third one is so fun and whimsical!!
I also think you made a great decision on the light from Fred Meyer-much better than Pottery Barn!
xo
lynn

Anna @ Take the Side Street said...

Great light!! Did you just get it recently? I've been thinking about that same Depot light so this would be a great alternative if they're still at Fred Meyers... I vote for light #2

Deborah Ann said...

I like that last light. Or maybe a ceiling fan light? That's a tough one, with the light that close to the sky light, anything you put there will stick out a bit...

Anonymous said...

I think the play room lights should be sunken in canned lights...out of the way of balls and other toys, and not noticeable from the stairs. I love the way they light up a space but don't "show up."