Friday, October 22, 2010

Inspiration Friday Party No. 9!

Welcome to the Party!
I'm so glad you stopped by and hope you will consider joining in the fun this week by linking up some of your Inspiring Posts about Home, Food, and Family. All are welcome here!

Before we jump into highlights from last week, I just had to share with you a little bit more about the Renaissance Man we have in our family. You may remember that I mentioned him in my post about our Master "Sweet". He lovingly crafted our bed as a wedding gift to us and here is a peek at it in case you missed it the first time. This is the work of my Father-in-law.


The details on this sleigh bed are amazing and he even surprised us by putting our monogram on the footboard!

So many of you expressed how amazed you were at this wonderful gift and his incredible talent that I wanted to show you a little bit more of what he can do. Trust me, this barely scratches the surface of his abilities!

You will find this little door in the closet of our play-room.
It is like an entrance to my memories.



Behind it lies some of my most beloved treasures.

 
When I discovered that we had an attic my heart literally leaped for joy! As a child, this little door would have taken me to another world in my imagination. And as a Mother, I had visions of opening it for my children to step inside and re-discover our beloved Christmas decorations each year. Tucked in a little corner under the beams sits this...

This cradle was crafted by my father-in-law when we found out that we would finally have a sweet baby boy joining our family!

Here are some of the details.




Here is a photo of our daughter in the cradle wearing her Great-Grandmother's Baby Gown. It is grainy because the photographer printed it on paper that makes it look like an oil-painting.




Doesn't this look like something from 100 years ago? And if you are thinking there is a slightly spooky quality to the photo, don't worry. You're not alone!
We are her family who love her and we thought so too!

The Renaissance Man also crafted this darling rocking horse for our son's 1st Birthday.

Hard to believe the skinny little guy who streaks through the house before bath-time, all arms and legs, is the same chubby- cheeked boy in this photo.


The Cradle and the Rocking Horse now wait patiently in the Attic. They are willing to withstand a little dust and neglect now, knowing that someday they will be brought out again to be enjoyed by future children.
These Heirlooms my husband's father has given us, will still be around even after we are not, and I am deeply grateful to him for all of the love that was put into each and every detail!
Thank you Steve!

If you want to see more of his amazing talent, you can visit his blog
The Right Brain Reader.

Now it's time for a high-light from last week's Inspiration Friday Party.
Judy at DIY By Design is new to the blogging community and last week she shared this beautiful transformation of her Powder Room.

I'm slightly biased here because I have that very same wallpaper in my powder room only in yellow! And, just for good measure I have to give you a peek at her beautiful kitchen.


Hop on over to DIY By Design to see the rest of these transformations and more of Judy's fabulous home!

But, be sure to come on back and join the party!
And, don't forget to mark your calendars for the next installment of


We are having at Soup Exchange and YOU are invited to join in the fun by linking up your favorite Soup (or chili or stew) recipes.
Just cook up a batch of your favorite soup, take a picture and publish it in a post and then have it ready to join the party on October 30th!

Now, it is time to Link it on up my Friends!
I hope you all have a marvelous weekend!
From this Southern Girl at Heart,

Vanessa

Here is how to link up...
1. Add your Permalink to your entry but not your General Blog Address. To get your Permalink, click on the title of the blog post you are wanting to submit and copy and paste the address into the URL box. You will also have to add your address but it will not be visible to anyone else.
2. Do not try and Link up until you have actually published that particular post on your blog.
3. Please link back to the host blog, Southern In My Heart, so that those who visit your blog will be able to find some wonderful Inspiration from everyone else!












34 comments:

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Love the baby picture, so beautiful!

S
xo

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Vanessa, What a talented FIL you have! The bed is amazing and how adorable is the rocking horse and cradle. I am on my way to check out DIY By Design. Thanks for hosting!
xoxo, Sherry

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oh,now I'm all broody! What have you done to me, Vanessa!

I'm up ridiculously late in the Uk so have managed to get here early!! Yay!

All That Glitters said...

Can i just say that my mouth is dropped opened!!! Wow!!! what wonderful gifts and hard work!!!! You have an amazing fil!!! Thank you for showing Vanessa!!!

michelle said...

The rocker and cradle and amazing! I can't believe my eyes, well I can, because I saw the bed :) but what an incredible gift to give your children and grandchildren an what stories you can tell them about their grandpa and great grandpa!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my goodness. Your bed, the cradle and the rocker are all gorgeous. Such talent and what fabulous and precious heirlooms they will be for your children. Love the baby pic, in the vintage gown. Your little guy is so cute, and yes, they really do grow up so fast. Gorgeous pics. Hugs, Marty

Debbie said...

Where do I start? I had so many comments running through my head as I read this. I love that bed and remember it from your tour of the MBR. I feel exactly the same way about the little door attic access. As a little one, I would have created a whole little hide away.

BUT the best part about this post were those beautiful heirlooms that he has created to BEGIN with this generation. Love the portrait and agree that it looks antique. (And I didn't think it was ghostly. You should see some of my family's REAL hundred year old paintings. They're pretty ghostly.)

And then the kitchen. Woohooo! I get to go and get some inspiration for mine. I actually have that same wallpaper in my own half bath. I had to put it up to cover over damage done by pulling sheetrock off the wall. Sigh...

This is too long and quite rambling. Sorry. It's just that this was a GREAT POST!

(ooops. and I forgot to ask the sister where she got the acorn plates. I'll find out. It was this season.)

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hey Vanessa! Love those fantastic heirlooms! Lucky you to have those treasures!! All linked up- thanks for hosting!!! :)

Sandra said...

Hi Vanessa. Oh where do I start? Everything is beautiful! I will have to show your photos to my husband. He's crafty as well but he just doesn't have time. What a gifted FIL you have.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful heirlooms.
Blessings,
Sandra

An Oasis in the Desert said...

What beautiful works of art & cherished mementos for your family to pass on for generations.
Carol

Vicki said...

Your FIL is an amazing artist. You are so blessed to have those family heirlooms. The picture of your daughter in the cradle is a treasure!

NanaDiana said...

Wow! Do you think your father-in-law would like to adopt me? I love wood working pieces that have been so lovingly made. What a talent that man has. What a blessing he must be to you. Hugs- Diana

Karen said...

What special family heirlooms he has made to be handed down! They are beautiful and love the little rocking horse.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your father-in-laws work is incredible. He's truly a talented craftsman.

Thanks for hosting again. I just had to post my day at Roloff Farms, lol. So, so much fun.

Christie said...

You are killin' me by keeping those gorgeous things in the attic!! How blessed are you to have such treasures! So, I am thinking...you could pull that cradle out and use it as a centerpiece somewhere!! It is so wonderful! That picture of your baby girl is so beautiful...I see antiqued, not spooky...it is LOVELY and her sweet little smile is so darling...oh, I miss that littleness (is that a word?!) I love that she is wearing a special gown, too! I always love it over here! Say a prayer for me! The engagement party is Saturday and I am running around trying to pull it all together! Christie

Anita Diaz said...

Wow, what treasures!! He is one talented person and you are so blessed to have these beautiful things to pass down. It is so wonderful to see a young person who is so careful about preserving those family heirlooms!!

Ashley said...

Wow! He is so incredibly talented! And how lucky are you guys to be able to pass such amazing pieces to pass down through future generations!

My Cozy Corner said...

Hi
I love you and I loved your Wedding Anniversary photo. I love family photos.
xoxo
Betty

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Steve's talents are unbelievable ~ you couldn't handpick and better FIL! I love the baby picture you shared. It does look very old and not scary to me at all ~ stunning! I'll be joining your party later today. Have a good one!

Becca Bertotti said...

My gosh ... what an amazing and talented man! You're one lucky gal to have him in the family! I would so have a list *this* long of things I'd love for him to build. lol Your bed is amazing and that crib and rocking horse ... incredible! Your kiddos are so fortunate to have these pieces to pass on for generations. Thanks for sharing! And, thanks for letting me crash your par-tay! Hugs, *Becca*

Debbiedoos said...

Thanks Vanessa for hosting. THose are some amazing pieces you have had made for you. Treasures to cherish for generations and generation. Enjoy!!~

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Wow Vanessa! I was quite blown away by the bed, now this! That cradle is out of this world adorable! You certainly do have an amazingly talented FIL! That photo does seem to look very old and have the whole spooky thing going on doesn't it? LOL! Let's just say "mysterious" from now on, shall we? That is something she can be proud of, atleast I think so anyway! Thanks for sharing your treasures with us, they are wonderful!

Life in Rehab said...

I saw that Debbie from Debbiedoos and Marty from A Stroll Through Life were visiting your blog, and if there are any two women on this planet with infallible taste, it's them. Naturally, they were right; your blog is lovely. Consider me a follower and a regular.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous works of art, Vanessa.

Your children are beautiful!

Thanks for coming by. The floors in the breakfast room, hearth room, kitchen are ceramic, rather than slate. I just clean them like regular ceramic floors. The darker grout helps too.;-)

Happy Weekend!

KimMalk said...

Your memories are so precious. Your FIL is impressive.

Sue said...

How wonderful to have such a keepsake for future little Hunts!! I love that you have that attic to keep things in- and I DO think you should eventually open it up and make it a huge open playroom! Oh, I have the perfect soup recipe for the party next week, too. Perfect timing- I'm going to make it tomorrow for our dinner party. I love homemade soup in the fall! hugs, Sue

Craftberry Bush said...

Hi Vanessa, just stopping by to say Hello. I hope you have a beautiful weekend. Thanks for hosting !
Lucy

Traci said...

What a talented man!! His pieces are beautiful!! You're a very lucky lady. Have a great weekend!

DIYbyDesign said...

Thank you so much for featuring my room on your blog. I am so appreciative and honored.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by Friday Potluck! I can't wait to check out your other inspirations :) Also, don't know if it was your linky or my Internet connection, but I had some trouble linking up to yours yesterday (I persevered though).

High Street Cottage said...

Hi Vanessa, you're welcome, and thanks for having me. Love the baby cradle, we had one in our family as well. My Dad painted a poem written by me on it for my Aunt and Uncle. Have a wonderful weekend. By the way I lived in Ventura County for many years, and I go back several times a year to shop and visit.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hi! Your beautiful pieces are true heirlooms! Your Father in Law is beyond talented!
Have a great weekend!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Wow, talk about some talent and the baby picture, oh my...stunning!!!
THanks for all the thought on the foyer, I'm so greatful! I went and bought a few more samples today, they are drying right now. I like your idea but think it might get too busy with the iron dooor. It would be perfect on the wall of the stairs walking up! thank you!
I hope your having a great weekend
XO
Kristin

Susie @ Step inside my home said...

Hi Vanessa! I just love your heirloom pieces! They are all beautiful works of art! And your special little door ~ Priceless! Have a great weekend. Susie