Friday, October 1, 2010

Inspiration Friday Party No. 6!


Welcome to the Party!
In my first Inspiration Friday Link Party, I shared with you the beautiful front door of Sheri's home from the Simasek-Kibler project. Here is another look at it in all it's gorgeousness!
Don't you just love those arched windows too?

Well, I told you then that my own front door was in a very sad state and that I was determined to repaint it. I made a promise to myself that I would not hang my fall wreath until I had that door painted! It was my own kind of Decorating Discipline.

 Kind of like when I tell my son that he doesn't get to watch Phineas and Ferb until I can walk through his room without impaling my foot on a Lego!

But, you know how life just kind of gets in the way? I mean, we hardly ever even go through the front door anyway! It was very easy to put off...and put off...and put off.

Then, just to add insult to injury, you all began to showcase your beautiful front doors in all of their Fall Glory! I even read one post where someone said that the front door is the true first impression of your home and it says a lot about what lies just inside. OH NO!!! My front door just said,

Run...Run for your life!!!

Then, as if things couldn't get any worse, the lovely Kristin over at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia hosted a party where everyone showcased their FRONT DOORS!
I do not like being left out of a party! It was painful to sit there and look at all of your beautiful and welcoming front doors when just a few feet away, my front door sat there looking like this...



You may be thinking, well that doesn't look THAT bad...
Oh yeah? Take a look at this...

And this...

There isn't a wreath in the world large enough to help out this pitiful thing. And, believe me, I looked for one!
So, with the realization that I was running out of weather that would be conducive to exterior painting, I finally did it!
I painted the door last weekend and it only took my a few weeks from the time I originally posted about it.
Ok, technically it is more like 2 years, 5 months and 4 weeks but, who's counting??!!
So, without further delay, here is the
BEFORE
  
And here is the
AFTER
We decided to paint the wood frame Black as well so it would really 'Pop' and add some depth to the space.

Kristin took pity on me was very gracious and understanding about my Front Door woes and gave me some great ideas for how to re-purpose the hardware.
Just SPRAY PAINT them! It was yet another one of my,
"I love blogging because people share these
great ideas that are smart and save me money and yet somehow I feel a little stupid that I didn't think of that in the first place," moments!
I am never too proud to admit my stupidity though and I won't let it stop me from going for it!

Here is how the Kick-plate looks after a light sanding and being sprayed with an Oil Rubbed Bronze paint!
I saw something identical to this at Lowes this weekend for $25!
And here is the hardware in the same paint...

Despite my sanding and prepping it still shows some imperfections that just wouldn't go away. Let's just call it the Distressed Look...or we could say it has Character! Either way, I saved us a chunk of change by not having to buy new hardware!
Thank you so much Kristin! I wish I could give you a big hug!

And now, here is the door all dressed for Fall.
Just think of us as being Fashionably Late to the Party!

Those giant Mums were only $9.99 at Costco!

Oh, what was that????

Did I hear someone say something???
You don't want to run for your life? In fact, that door actually looks Inviting?
Dare I say...Welcoming? Now the Doormat isn't lying anymore!
And hopefully it finally actually reflects what lies inside!

Now, let's get to some more great Inspiration!
It is time to link up to the party and I can't wait to see what you have all been up to! As always, there have been some incredibly inspiring posts out there and I love that this is a place where you can share anything and everything that you hope might Inspire someone!


I hope you have a Fabulous Weekend!
From this Southern Girl at Heart,
Vanessa
Linking to these parties..

Southern Hospitality

Power of Paint Party

Thrifty Decor Chick Before and After Party







Photobucket



The DIY Show Off










40 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the changes! We're looking at houses soon, and most in our budget need some love, so am loving these great design and improvement posts! Thanks Vanessa!

Erin

Melissa Miller said...

Vanessa your newly painted front door and home are both gorgeous! I adore the black paint and the pretty changes. Our front door is black as well. You did great! I need to grab some mums this weekend too. Yours are beautiful and super huge.

Thank you for hosting! ~Melissa :)

michelle said...

I love it!!! Everything, the post, the door, your decor!! It does look warm and inviting, like you could have a cup of coffee and chat right there! Very well done for putting it off for so long! ;)

Lori said...

My front door is black. Great anchor color for the front of the house. What do you think about indoor doors black?

Ashley said...

Your front door looks great! I love the way you've decorated it. So Welcoming!

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, I quick took some photos this morning so that I would have a post to link to your party :)

I LOVE the black door! It's beautiful. Very elegant. Funny, I (well, the painters) almost painted our door black also! I had to finally make up my mind and went dark gray to match the dormers but I was wavering between the black and gray. I think I drove the painter crazy because I told him I had to sleep on my decision.

Thanks again for hosting.
Hugs, Marla

The Decorative Dreamer said...

OMG! You are not going to believe it, but one of my big projects I did today was paint the front door BLACK! LOL! I also painted the door knocker ORB the other day, but have'nt done the handle and keyhole yet. I was still kind of scared on that, now I think I can! Chug-chug-chug! Thanks for inspiring me to keep going! Your entry looks so beautiful! I love all your really BIG mums and pumpkins. Those chairs with pillows look so welcoming too! Very pretty!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your front door looks fabulous. Don't you love ORB paint. It is a wonder for sure. Your porch is stunning, and the flowers, wreath and the pillows are all so pretty and such an inviting entry. Very well done. Hugs, marty

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hey Vanessa~ all linked up to your party!! Your front door looks gorgeous!! I love the fall decorating on your porch too! Beautiful! :)

NanaDiana said...

Vanessa- Holy Cow Girl! It looks fantastic. What a change. Who'da thought it? I love that oil rubbed bronze look. The door just looks so rich and beautiful I love your whole front entrance, actually...and think it looks VERY inviting! Great job! Hugs- Diana

Christie said...

Vanessa!!!!This looks AWESOME! But, I haven't seen anything you do that doesn't look awesome!! It is so inviting and that paint job...wonderful!! I need to run to Costco and grab some of those mums for my wedding shower..thanks for the tip! So, so pretty! You have a beautiful home! I was telling my dear friend about your blog and she said, "Oh, yes, I have seen it! I feel like she lives next door!" So, can we walk over and see that beautiful door of yours! hee hee! I worked for Merck for 8 years as a rep! Thanks for kind words! I am working on a little booth at a shop right now...just came up and my husband thought it was a great idea...so excited! It is one of those you set up, but don't have to be there...say a prayer! Have a great weekend! christie

Farah said...

Great transformation, It looks more dignified now and yes your wreath is fabolous

http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

I would love if you pay a visit to my blog, hope you enjoyed it

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Vanessa,
Your door looks wonderful, and so does your whole entrance. You did a great job decorating your porch area, I really like it.
Delightfully inviting!!
What a great idea to paint the hardware, looks awesome.
Have a great day and weekend,
Blessings, Nellie

Jane said...

Good morning Vanessa,

I love the change you made the door! Great job!

Jane

KimMalk said...

Hi Vanessa, my darling husband painted our front door in the past few months and it made a huge difference. However, it doesn't look nearly as inviting as yours. I don't know if I'm brave enough to show it :P.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

WOW!!! That looks amazing! What a difference. It does say Welcome now...
Hugs,
Penny

Debbie said...

I'm not saying this lightly...
WOW!! I love the changes, and I really love the frugal way that you did it. Your fall door looks just plain WONDERFUL.

Inspiring even...

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Wow! What a transformation Vanessa! It looks wonderful. Very inviting and well decorated for fall!

Turquoise and Trine said...

I love your "new" front door! The porch and everything looks awesome! Great job!

Lori @thriftydecormom

Kathy said...

You should be so proud of the great job you did transforming your door -Your home looks so inviting for the autumn season.

Debbiedoos said...

Girl you did a great job!!~ So classic in black, I love it. And hey thanks for hosting your partay!!~

The Cozy Cape said...

Hey There! LOVE IT. I have plans to paint my doors as soon as it stops raining here... and I also told myself, no Fall decor outside until I fix my doors!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I'm going to make my way to your party in a moment!

Grace and Beauty said...

That looks beautiful!!!

Becca Bertotti said...

Wow!, I LOVE your door! It is beautiful! I really like the color you chose ... and the kickplate looks awesome! I know you must be pleased! It truly makes your door a grand entrance! (And, I love all of your Fall accents, too). The mums are gorgeous!! Girl, you are just full of inspiration ... thank you, *Becca*

Craftberry Bush said...

Hi Vanessa...thank you for having this great link up party. I'm so glad you liked the paper pumpkin :o) and thanks for taking the time to leave a message, I do appreciate it. Your door is perfection. I hope to see you soon . Have a lovely week-end.
Lucy sitting by the craftberry bush. :o)

vignette design said...

Hi Vanessa,
First of all, thank you for the lovely comment. Your home is gorgeous too, and I like how your front door turned out. I'm glad you painted it black! Don't worry about a little patina...my door is over a 100 years old. Needless to say, it is very imperfect. I like how you decorated for fall too. --Delores

Vicki said...

What a transformation. Looks great. Thank you for reminding me about those huge Costco mums! They had them last year too. I'm a new blogger enjoying linking up and sharing projects. I put the party button on my blog. Off to meet friends and explore!

Nancy's Notes said...

Your wreath is awesome and your changes are truly incredible! I am new to your blog and I am happy to have found my way here.

You know, Ohooo, I should not be reading blogs, but I am and I'm having fun! Should be packing or doing something like that!

Nancy

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

After seeing how good your hardware looks after you painted it...think I might just paint mine too! Your porch looks outstanding.

Blessings,
Linda

Sue said...

Your porch is now telling me that it is charming and inviting, Vanessa! Love the black- I had a black door on my first house- it just says, "classy..." Love all the mums- great color! I read Kristin's post about painting the hardware a few weeks ago- I'm saving my old handset to see what happens when I do paint it. Schlage, the manufacturer of my lockset, replaced my set for free because it was peeling. So I'll try the painting process on it and put it on a back door. Ya gotta love ORB!! Hope all is going good with ya- Happy Fall! Like it is a holiday?! LOL
hugs, Sue

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

I am hobbling to your door as quickly as I can!!!!
When I get there, I'm gonna rest on a bistro chair, ya hear? And you're gonna bring me a hot tea, m'kay?
It looks so beautiful! Have you noticed the neighbors slowing down to look? I would!
Painting the molding was brilliant!
Thank you for your wishes and prayers for my foot!
I have been well-taken care of. You never know how much you're needed and loved until you can't do for others.
I am so blessed by your note of hope for me!!
Have a super blessed Sunday!
Hugs,
~me
P.S. Get that tea ready!

Diana said...

I love how you have changed your front door. It looks really good.

Diana

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

WOW WOW and WOW!!! What a wonderful change! Your entry is gorgeous! We are toying with the idea of painting our front door! I am torn between black and red. I love my stained door but it requires so much maintenence!

After seeing yours I see a paint brush in my future;)!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Oh my goodness! It's awesome! You did such a wonderful job, it's so inviting, I love that you sprayed the hardware too! Perfect!!!!! Enjoy your Monday!
XO
Kristin

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What an amazing porch transformation! I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

I love it Vanessa! I really like the black color! Just classy, I would say.
Thanks for dropping by today.
Karen

Southern Fried Gal said...

Beautiful transformation! I like how you have it dressed for fall, too.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

LOVE your black door & those mums are gorgeous! I need to go to Costco.

phillips phamily said...

Very welcoming! So pretty!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Vanessa, it looks totally inviting now! Thanks for sharing.