Thursday, September 2, 2010

Inspiration Friday Party No. 2!

Seasons
"Every leaf speaks bliss to me,
Fluttering from the Autumn tree."
*Emily Bronte*

We are ushering fall in with open arms here at
Southern in my Heart!

I am a fall-lovin' fanatic but I am also strangely loyal to Summer too (could have something to do with how much rain we get here in the NW!) and don't officially pull out my fall decor until September 1. Now, I do realize that it is not technically "Fall" yet. But you know what? The transition from Fall Decorating to Christmas Decorating happens pretty quickly around here and these items need some time to shine!  I open the closet and say,
 "Hello Old Friends! Gather 'round
and meet the newest members of the Seasonal Decor Family!"


They are all congregating and having a little reunion together.
Can you hear them talking?
"Look at that Newbie arrangement over there!
 Where do you think she is going?"
"Oh, I hope I make it to the entry table this year!"
Ok, I'm weird...I know. But, this is my world and in my world my Seasonal decor have personalities and talk to each other!
Now everyone gets to find their home for this year...



Even the Cloche received a new friend!

Aren't the colors of that artichoke great?!
 I found her in the Clearance bin at Michael's for $.50!

She is the "Newbie" arrangement and was another Michael's find with a 40% off tag attached! She had to come home with me!

There is much more to do, but for now, we are welcoming in the cooler evenings when the sun sets earlier and we snuggle in just a little bit closer!
*I'm linking this up to Domestically Speaking and The Inspired Room! Go visit these great parties for more Inspiration!*

As in weather, there are also Seasons of Life.
 And my parents are entering a new one this week!

My Dad officially retires TODAY!

This is my favorite picture of the two of us

Just so you know, I'm trying to make it through this without crying. I'm not doing a very good job of it though!
I could go on and on about what a hard worker my dad is and has been his entire life. I could tell you about the countless emails, cards, letters, texts, messages, gift baskets, etc. that have made their way to him from his employees, his customers, his peers, his superiors, and his friends. All of them glowingly recounting tales of a man who tirelessly worked to bring success to his company and sacrificially gave of himself for the sake of others. I could tell you of the employees who cried when they found out he would no longer be their Manager. I could tell you about the things he has done for so many people who will never know that he was the one who paid that medical bill, provided that meal, made Christmas happen for their family.
But, I won't....instead I will show you what he is looking forward to doing more of in this next season of life!


Some of this...
And this...
And a little of this...

(That is my niece)


And, spending time with this guy (my nephew) before he heads out into Grown-up Land! Only 2 more years buddy, enjoy them!
He is also of course looking forward to traveling, riding his motorcycle and just sitting still for awhile (it will be hard for him!). But, we are most excited about getting to see more of our Daddy and Poppa!
Congratulations Dad on your Retirement! We love you!

That is what is Inspiring me today!
How about you?

So, now it's your turn! What did you post on your Blog this week that you hope will Inspire others? Share it with us!

And be sure to come back on Saturday for the first installment of
Sister Saturday
and our
"Labor Day has gone South" Party!

Here are the instructions for those of you who are new to this "Linky" Party thing...
1. Add your Permalink to your entry but not your General Blog Address. To get your Permalink, click on the title of the blog post you are wanting to submit and copy and paste the address into the URL box. You will also have to add your address but it will not be visible to anyone else.

2. Do not try and Link up until you have actually published that particular post on your blog.

3. Please link back to the host blog, Southern In My Heart, so that those who visit your blog will be able to find some wonderful Inspiration from everyone else!

4. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think about my Inspiration Friday party!







22 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the sweetest post!! There's just a special bond with dads and their daughters - my three girls adore their dad and don't even get me started about our little Hannah and her Papa! Your love for your dad shines in your words. He's very blessed.

My post this week was on making jam. Is that inspiring?

Vanessa said...

Absolutely making jam is inspiring! Especially to those of us who don't make it! :-) Link up!
Vanessa
http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

Melissa Miller said...

How wonderful Vanessa! Congrats to your Dad!

Your inspirations for fall decor' are gorgeous and warm. I need to get over to Michaels soon and take a look at the clearance. I'll add my fall link now. I apologize in advance if I don't visit everyone though. We are prepping for this hurricane today. It should be okay where I'm at but you never know if you will lose power. Sigh.

Blessings, ~Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

I'm IN!! Finally, poor Mr. Linky locked up right in the middle of the photo loading, then I had to reboot and start over. I'm verrrrry persistant, lol.

Sue said...

What a nice new par-tay, Vanessa! Thanks for the invite- I'll add in today's post. What a sweet tribute to your dad. Hope he gets some well deserved "down time."
I have all my fall accessories sitting on my table, too. I have to work on the rest of the vignettes I plan to do. My little brain is working to come up with some different ideas from last year~ I kinda went overboard with all my decorating last fall. LOL
~ Sue

Gayle said...

Congrats to your dad, Vanessa. He's very blessed to be young enough and healthy enough to enjoy his retirement. The picture of you with him as a little girl is so adorable!

I, too, love fall, but here in Southeast Texas, summer temps lasts through September. Thus, my fall things usually make an appearance in October. I'm soooo ready. It's been a HOT one this year.

Debbie said...

Vanessa, I really enjoyed what you've done with fall arrangements. You made me giggle about the "newbie" comment. I want one of those small cloches in the worst way!

But my favorite part was about your dad. I miss mine. I wish that he had had the time to enjoy retirement and wish your dad MANY years of well deserved playtime with family.

And I am honored to link my treasure box post. Thank you, Vanessa.

Gourmet Meals for Less said...

Ok...you made me cry. So glad we share the same Daddy! Can't wait for our Sisters Saturday...you're house or mine?? ;o)

Love you sis!

Heather

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Vanessa, Thanks for the invite to the party!
What a beautiful post! You're dad must be blushing! Wonderful tribute. My dad is in heaven, and you are so blessed to have him to be in your life and your children's too! Congratulations to him on his retirement... and his great life!
Yvonne

Angela said...

Vanessa!
What a FUN blog! I love it!
So great to hear from you I will be reading! :)

Gail @ Victorian at Heart said...

This is the first time I've visited your blog and I linked to your party. Congratulations to your Dad. My husband retired a year ago and we have had the best time. We say every morning, we can do whatever we want....actually we are staying very busy and the times you get to enjoy kids and grandkids is the best. You are all blessed.

Pamela said...

Gotta get Oldest off to school and will be back!

Karen said...

Vanessa,
I love the artichoke under the cloche. Girl, I linked her up this week! :)

Christie said...

Vanessa, thanks for letting me know about your party! I LOVE the parties...just so fun to participate and to see all the wonderful things from others! Can things that inspire be a short story or a lesson that our family has learned, or do you prefer only pictures and things that inspire? I linked up a post from August with pictures from Charleston, SC..some family shots and some things that caught my 'camera' eye! Your southern touches are beautiful, classic and elegant with a touch of the unexpected! Congrats to your dad! Christie at Three Pixie Lane...from South Carolina!!

Debbiedoos said...

I love inspiration Friday. Can anything of inspiration be linked, I am sure I have a few 20 things or so:)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh all of your vignettes are just stunning. I love them all, so pretty. You do have some amazing containers too. Beautiful.

Such a loving post about your dad. I am so touched.

Thanks also for your input on the bdrm. makeover. I really appreciate it. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

Vanessa, unfortunately last night I was more inspired by the thought of someone else doing the dishes than I was by cooking a fab new recipe, and went to Olive Garden. Sadly, I don't have a post for you this week :(

Been thinking of you though! Happy Inspiration Friday

Erin

Renée said...

Thanks Vanessa for your visit. Debbie is so much fun and if you like her like I do we will each have brighter days! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful tribute to your Dad. I sure love and miss mine. I'm very thankful for the man that is DAD to my five kids. I'll try to link to your party...not sure what might inspire. Following U too!

Jenny said...

Ummm...how can your Dad retire when he is obviously only 39? Your Mom is lovely, too! Beautiful family and wonderful post.

Lindsey @ FRESH AIR + FRESH FOOD said...

Oh No! I need to write your parties in my calandar! I'm so mad I missed it! I'll be here next Friday cause I love your parties!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Vanessa, Congrats to your dad on his retirement. I can tell how very close you are to him.

Your Fall decor is lovely and I notice a chair that also has fall colors. Take care.
xo, Sherry

Kirstin said...

How pretty it all looks. I too live in the Northwest (Washington) and I would love to visit the south and experience the culture!