Monday, September 13, 2010

Where We Live...

...Part One!
Ever since I began taking you all on my home's "Metamorphosis" Journey (thank you Susan!), I have wondered why I have so few Before pictures. They have all been weird angles and had horrible blurriness and, usually, only one shot of each room. I recently stumbled upon the answer to this mystery!

Oh...seeing that blue-striped wallpaper again makes me feel like I am going to break out in hives!
But, do you see the baby on that hip? I'm pretty sure she had something to do with the lack of Before photos. Also, the 5 year old who was running through this empty house like a Banchee! And, I truly never thought that these pictures would be posted up for all the world (ok, more like a handful of people) to see someday! I'm ashamed of my rudimentary photography skills but will once again pin the blame on my children as the reason those pictures are so lacking. Pinning blame on your children is a not often talked about Perk of having them!

Now on to the ONE Before photo I have of our Breakfast Nook...
Oh my! What a surprise! Another big brass light fixture!
Now, I have to show you how this space looked for quite some time before you get to see the 'Real' After.

Ohhhhh...look at those cute cheeks! Where has the time gone?
Anyway, this little round table came with us from our previous home where it fit perfectly into the little space we had for it in that kitchen. It was the first furniture we ever bought as a couple and I think we paid $150 for the entire set and it served us well for 11 years! It always looked very lost and lonely in this new space though so we set about trying to find a Dining Set that would be better suited to the space and our growing needs as a family.

Now here is the Real After of our Breakfast Nook...

And here is a closer look
This was one of the first light fixtures in the house to be changed and it is so much better! And there is the infamous
Black Bucket in all of it's "Un-Crafty" Glory!
(See Friday's post if this reference confuses you!)
I was going to take the Booster seat off the chair and put the other cushion on for these photos but then I thought again. I think sometimes a little dose of reality is good in a Home Decorating Photo! Don't you? I did clean it though, because you might never have come back if you had seen the crumbs underneath that thing!
And, just in case you are wondering what those cushions look like, here is a glimpse...

They were another Tuesday Morning find that I stalked for weeks to see how much the price would come down before I snatched them up. It really is a Rush, you know? Will they still be there? Will there be 4 of them? How low will the price go before I cave in? Like a cat and mouse game! So thrilling!
Ok, I think I just revealed a little too much there about how my mind works so we will move on.
Did you notice the fabric on the windows?
Doesn't it look an awful lot like the fabric I used in my Kitchen and Living/Dining Rooms?

Well, it may be the same pattern and colors but the treatments in the rest of the house were made, by me, from fabric that I scrimped and saved for and painstakingly lined each panel so it would hang just right. It also has a subtle sheen and a moire pattern to it. You want to know where I found the window treatments for the Breakfast nook?
WAL-MART!
They aren't lined and they don't have a sheen...but, who cares? They match! And, because when you enter our home you can see practically the entire downstairs with one sweep of the eyes, I really wanted a cohesive look with my window treatments. And, the best part about them being from Wal-Mart is that they weren't expensive and I'm not worried about them getting dirty since they are in a high traffic area!
It was like they were sent down from heaven just for me!
Oh, and maybe a few other million people who shop at Wal-Mart.

Here is what is along the wall opposite those windows...

I found this great buffet table at Aunt Bee's and even though it was missing a door in the front, I picked up these great baskets and think they really help warm it up. Plus, they are great for storing crayons, stamps and other art supplies!
Here is a closer look at some of the details.
Whew! I was really glad to see after I added this picture that there weren't price tags still stuck to the bottoms of those plates on that stand!
The Rooster Lamps were an Ebay find and I absolutely adore them! Here is a closer look at them all lit up.
I, like many of you, love to decorate my walls with plates. They can't be beat for adding instant interest to a space without breaking the bank.
The three small plates were found at our city's Assistance League and the large one was another great TJ's find!
Is it bad when you walk into TJ Maxx and
the employees know you?
"Oh, we knew you would be back for that purse!"

When I discovered this door to the right of the buffet table I'm pretty sure my heart stopped a little. It opens up to this...
It is this great storage area that goes all the way back under the staircase. Here is a closer look.
Don't you think those shelves are screaming for some sprucing up? What would you guys suggest? Some fabric? Paint?


Next week, I will show you Part 2 of "Where We Live" but here is a little taste of what is to come...

Blessings to you from this
Southern Girl at Heart,
Vanessa
*I'm Linking to these Parties*

32 comments:

Purnima@a creative project said...

very pretty home!! It look great!! I like your cushions a lot!!

Ashley said...

Very pretty! I love your table!

Kathy said...

I love your buffet with the baskets and of course the rooster lamps -they are beautiful The storage area is a treat :-) I think paint would look nice and then stencil the back walls of the shelves or cover with wrapping paper that a lot of other bloggers have used from Hobby Lobby

Sonny G said...

Your home is lovely. I too have an open concept home and love having my window treatments match-- some folks dont seem to understand that lol..
I just bought the very same dining table you have except the top was natural and pale , so I took it outside , sanded and painted it so its now more the color of yours.
I enjoyed seeing your photos and reading about your adventure.

Sonny

Debbie said...

OK, first... You are going to have to limit the absolutely adorable baby pics from your post if you want me to concentrate on the background.

But seriously, I love your pictures and decorating style, Vanessa. I was trying to think of my favorite part, and it's a tie between your lamps (wow!) and that little buffet with the baskets.

Trying not to covet that nifty little closet too!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Vanessa, great changes and I am coveting those rooster lamps. If you find one missing don't look here.

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, I love all your changes and you made your house into a home! I also love that fabric and every time I stop in that section of Walmart I have to check it out.

Tracy F. said...

Very pretty---so cozy and colorful. Looks like a happy home!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I have looked at those curtain panels at Walmart myself. I think they are great for the price! You have done a lovely job in your home! I'm in awe of those rooster lamps! I have been looking but most are way over my price range!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love your dining room! You use all of the same colors I use in your home. Reds, greens, golds. Love the buffet - I think it is better because the door was missing!
Hugs,
Penny

Traci said...

Hey Vanessa! Everything looks great! Love the buffet & the window treatments. I so wish I could sew!! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Hey Vanessa,
have to post this way, cuz i only check out blogs...don't have time to do it myself with a six month old boy. anyway, i would suggest taking the door off its hinges and opening that cubby space up. built-ins are awesome to show off. i would paint the whole thing a much deeper shade of the color you already have in the room....and keep the shelves white or a very light shade of something for a pop. you already have it well organized for show....

Becca Bertotti said...

Hey Vanessa! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet note about my kitchen Fall decor. I'm glad you got a chuckle out of my self-diagnosed ADD! I LOVE your kitchen. Your new table and chairs are beautiful ... love your checked panels, your buffet and those rooster lamps are perfect! What a score! I admire your patience for waiting to scoop something up at Tuesday Morning. If I don't snatch it when I see it, it's gone the next time I come back. Clearly, those pretty chair cushions were meant to be yours! I look forward to following your fun decorating projects! Take care, Becca

Melissa Miller said...

Vanessa each and every photo of your gorgeous home metamorphosis I love even more than the next. It is all so beautiful! You are doing a wonderful job.

I wonder how the shelves would look with a pretty fabric? Show us what you do. :)

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Vanessa! I love before and after pictures, they are my favorite to view. Your home is gorgeous, and so is your cutie pie daughter to say the least. I love your Tuesday morning cushion. Our store closed I was so disappointed, I always found something in there different and reasonable too. Thanks for your input on my friends mantel.

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Gorgeous home, love all the pictures! I ended up painting the front door black today :) I love it! Also I've just spray painted my old hardware in the past to give it the rubbed oil bronze look, just a thought incase you don't want to spend the money :)XO

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Gorgeous home, love all the pictures! I ended up painting the front door black today :) I love it! Also I've just spray painted my old hardware in the past to give it the rubbed oil bronze look, just a thought incase you don't want to spend the money :)XO

Karen said...

I absolutely adore the rooster lamps and what a great space in the little closet.
Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer said...

I have a girl crush on you. You made the title, seriously the title, of my post. I need you. In a bad way.

Debbiedoos said...

So glad you joined my party...thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Love your curtains! Everything looks fabulous.
-FringeGirl

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Vanessa, Your home is beautiful and I can't wait to see more. You know I love the blue and white plates on the wall. The chair cushions and rooster lamp are fabulous. It's hard to believe the curtains are from Walmart...they look wonderful. Also, your daughter is such a cutie!
Hugs, Sherry

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Love your blog...following now

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Vanessa! Your home is so beautiful and charming!
I love the plates on the wall and the details everywhere- that piece with the missing door is fabulous!!
Thanks for your comments on my kitchen and party too! I'll get that recipe from the party and post it or email it to you~the pinot from Oregon was FABULOUS!!!!! :)

KimMalk said...

What a pretty space, Vanessa. No wonder you like those rooster lamps, they have so much character, the style of your kitchen table is so pretty, and that chest with a missing door is just perfect.

Cheryl said...

Super charming!!!!

Sarah said...

You are creating a charming home full of warmth and love. The dining area looks fresh and full of light. The buffet was a great find. I'm looking for one for extra dish storage. I also need a closet like the one you show.
Have a great day. ~ Sarah

Sue said...

Vanessa, You've put a lot of work into your house and it takes time to do it! Life often gets in the way and family is more important than an instantly beautiful home. But you are WELL on your way now! Love the rooster lamps and that buffet table. And those seat cushions are perfect for the fall season, right now! I have a little pantry closet very similar to yours- perfect for all my odds and ends.... I should paper mine, now that I think of it! hmmm.....
Thanks for your sweet comments- I always love to see you visiting!
hugs, Sue

NanaDiana said...

Hey Vanessa- I don't know HOW I missed this post before. I think while I was away everyone in Blogland posted and I missed it.

I love your home...it is just lovely and warm. I really like those rooster lamps and that buffet was a great find. How perfect to add those baskets to the open area.

Uh...TJMaxx is my best friend, too...although I have been trying to not visit as often as I used to. She is wicked with my money! lol Diana

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Oh I just love seeing more of your decor! Those lamps are fantastic! I really love the hutch and how you made it even better with the baskets. You really have done alot to change your home into a warm and inviting space. Tuesday, I was at the GYN office for an appointment and we were talking about all the wonderful things you get to blame (I mean thank) your children for. LOL! The perks of motherhood indeed!

Rebecca said...

Looks like it should be in a magazine!

Pamela said...

Loving your new table Vanessa! And those WM curtains look like they have more muted toned to them than the Moire plaid we both have. You are a much better woman than me. I so did nothing with mine but hang up the fabric! Every now and then I think abt making them into real curtains but why mess up a good thing!Ha!;)