Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sister Saturday!

Welcome to the First Ever Edition of
Sister Saturday!
What is this you ask?
Well, I have a sister named Heather whom I adore!

She is my best friend, my confidant, my partner in crime, and now we have both joined the crazy world of Blogging. We are having so much fun with our respective Blogs and thought what better way to celebrate this than to do a Post together?!

Thus was born Sister Saturday!

(Can't you just hear those Haynes Sisters from White Christmas?
"Sisters, sisters, never were there such devoted sisters!")
You see, we don't live near each other. I am in the Northwest and she is the real Southern Girl in this family!


(How sad it is that this is the only picture I could find where we are actually sitting next to each other! And, it was 3 years ago! That lovely lady with us is our wonderful Mom. The other best friend!)

 It is a tragedy in my book that family members who actually really like each other (we would be friends even if we weren't related!) don't get to just pop over to each other's homes, share in the everyday aspects of our children's lives and especially celebrate Holidays and Special Occasions together!

This reality ain't changing anytime soon. So, we are going to make the best of it and...
Throw a Blogging Party together!
This is a "Labor Day Party Gone South" and
YOU are invited!
First Stop...


My House!
Come join us for Cocktails and Appetizers!
(Complete Recipes will be at the end of the post)
Folks get handed a drink first thing when they come to a party at our house so here you go...
This is all you need for Raspberry Beer Cocktail, recipe courtesy of Southern Living Magazine

Mix these together and you have the perfect Cocktail!
Sweet enough for the ladies, but with a generous amount of Beer for the fellas (or the crazy girls like me who actually like beer!)
Enjoy!
Next up Appetizers...
This one comes to you courtesy of the Queen of the South,
Miss Paula Deen!
Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps
Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
After cutting bacon slices into thirds, wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with a wooden pick.

Stir together Brown Sugar (2/3 cup) and Chili Powder (2 Tblsp.)
Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture.
Coat a rack and broiler with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken on rack in broiler pan and Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
Enjoy!
My Sister and her family just pulled up to the house and this food won't last long! I better go get set up for us to enjoy it on the deck before heading over to her house for the main course!
Whew! With a teenage boy in this group, I sure am glad I made plenty of those Chicken Bacon Wraps! These are also great to make if you are having folks over to watch the Big Game!

It's time for us to head on over to my Sister's house now!

She has made us a delicious Main Course and Dessert and we can't wait to enjoy it with them! Won't you come along too?
Visit her blog
to join us as we complete the second half of our Labor Day Party Gone South!
Don't wait up!
And be sure to keep watching for the next installment of

In a few weeks, we will be hosting a Soup Exchange and you are ALL invited! It will be a "Linky" party so get those favorite Autumn/Winter Soup recipes out and get ready to join in the fun!
Now get yourself over to Heather's House!

Raspberry Beer Cocktail
3/4 cup frozen raspberries *fresh raspberries may be substituted
3 1/2 (12-oz) bottles beer, chilled (I only use 3 bottles)
1 (12-oz.) container frozen raspberry lemonade concentrate, thawed
1/2 cup Vodka
Garnish: lemon and/or lime slices
Stir together first 4 ingredients. Serve over ice. Garnish, if desired!

Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
1 (1-pound) packaged sliced bacon
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons chili powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with wooden pick. Stir together brown sugar and chili powder. Dredge wrapped chicken into mixture. Coat a rack and broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan.
Bake 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

15 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Such a fun post. The chicken sounds wonderful. I will definitely have to give it a try. Have a super weekend. Hugs, Marty

Debbie said...

This could not possibly be a cuter idea! Of course, I'm the kind who has to yak it up to you before heading to the next stop on your Sisterhood Progressive Luncheon.

So... yakking it up that I want to try those bacon wraps, and I like the way yours are presented.

But oh dear... if Paula is the queen of the south, how loud is the kingdom? Just kidding. Making fun of a fellow Georgian is kind of like making fun of family...

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Love it Vanessa! Great post~ my sister lives only couple hours away and visits for a week in the summer and the winter at our house. We talk on the phone almost daily and she is really the best! I'm loving the sister post you did! Great idea! :)

NanaDiana said...

Good Lord, gal...I just found you! I don't even know how I got here but I am signing up as a follower cuz I like your style! And I especially like those little chicken and bacon thingy...wish you could make me a few....

I read down through some of your other posts and really enjoyed the one about your Dad. What a special man...and what a tribute from you as his daughter.

So..that being said...I am signing up as your newest follower...Yep..you are stuck with me now...like a spur under your saddle..I'll be here every time you post!!. Diana

Anonymous said...

I want to party at your house. You sure know how to serve your guests great food and beverages! :)

Melissa Miller said...

Vanessa I understand. I'm far away from my two sisters as well. Sigh.
Your party looks fun! I do enjoy a cold beer. It sounds like a yummy recipe I'll have to try soon.

Have a great labor day!
~Melissa :)

Jenny said...

How neat! That chicken sounds amazing. I'll go visit your sister now.

I'm sorry you two can't be together to hang out over the long weekend!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog and learning about your family. I can't wait to try the Chicken Appetizers, I agree with Paula Deen, anything with pig in it is ok by me. The cocktail sounds awesome too. Thanks!

Mary L

Sue said...

It all sounds good to me! I like me some beer- but none of the light stuff- amber is more my style! The chicken looks good, too.
As for next week, I have the perfect soup recipe! Can't wait.
~ Sue

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

what a sweet post, it's great that you and your sister are so close.

The food is just delicious. I'll have a couple of drinks and some of that bacon too.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

you're right, I just came back from visiting your sister, she's such a sweet girl. Can't wait for the soup exchange in October, yum!

All That Glitters said...

How fun!!! I would join y'all in a heart beat!!! Everything looks so good! You sister and mom and you too are so pretty!!!!

Jennifer

Val said...

I will join you with that lovely cocktail!! When ever you come to Socal, I will make you a special drink! Happy Sunday!

Lindsey @ FRESH AIR + FRESH FOOD said...

What a fun idea! I am so on board - on my way to Heather's house!

Decor To Adore said...

Let me know when you accept applications for additional sisters. :)

Thank you so very much for your "Encouraging Ballad, Babble, Banter" ? :)

I am having trouble juggling a bit this week with college, projects, kids...

So pretty much feel like an

Exhausted Bear

The good news is that several projects are almost completed.