Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Winner, Winner!


Pesto Dinner!

First things first! I ran out of time to post a picture of the number, but Random Generator selected a winner and that person is....Sue from Sullivan and Murphy! Sue, please email me at randvhunt@comcast.net with your address and I will be putting something in the mail for you from this darling downtown boutique...


Hope you like it Sue! Thanks again to all of you for your sweet comments and encouragement and for joining in the fun last week! Looking forward to seeing more great Inspiration this week!

So, what do you do when it has rained for several days in a row and you neglected to check on your garden and when the sun came out and you went to look at it, your parsley looked like this?




Well, first you grab your camera...is that one of those "you know your a blogger when..." moments?
Then, you remember that long ago you tried out a recipe for
PARSLEY PESTO
and that you will probably have enough to send all of your new blogging friends some for Christmas along with the Zucchini bread mentioned a couple of weeks ago! I know. I know. Doesn't Pesto and Zucchini bread sound SOOOO yummy together?

The thing I really love about this recipe, is that unlike the traditional Basil Pesto, this one is a lot less expensive! Basil and pine nuts don't come cheap these days, and Parsely and Walnuts are a great substitute for we budget-minded folks.
Parsley and Walnut Pesto
3 cups fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt (I usually add more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, chopped

Combine all ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Serve over your favorite pasta or even try it as a dip! Spread some on crusty bread and melt a slice of mozzarella on top and you have a great appetizer or snack!


Did you know that Wal-Mart now sells a store brand version of Whole Grain Penne Pasta? That is our favorite these days and I smothered it with the Parsley Pesto!

It is a much brighter green than Traditional Pesto but it is still Oh so Yummy! We each had a glass of red wine and if we closed our eyes (and ears) for a moment, we felt like we were on a date!

If it hadn't been for the 2 rascals sitting there eating
Mac-n-Cheese, it could have been!

Linking this up to Foodie Friday

19 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Oh that looks so good, even early in the Morning. Congrats to Sue, she is a sweet blogging friend!

Christie said...

Vanessa, this looks so good! I have made basil pesto all summer. My friend told me to switch out the pine nuts with pistachios and it was just as yum! I will try your recipe, as we have parsley in abundance, too! Short message! Are you proud! :) Christie

michelle said...

That looks so good!!! That sounds like our house too. We eat what I made the the little one sits there with mac and cheese!! :)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That looks great! I add parsely to my basil pesto because I love that fresh bright taste it adds! I am heading to my garden right now to pick basil and parsley to make another batch of pesto.
Hugs,
Penny

NanaDiana said...

Vanessa- That looks SOOO good. It was like the giant Parsley Plant took over though! We love Pesto and I am ashamed to say that I hardly ever make it...You have inspired me today to try your recipe though. Hugs- Diana

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

Congratulations to Sue, what a lucky gal.

I love pesto too, thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it. That pasta looks delicious!

Pamela said...

That looks super yummy! We are very much so a pasta eating fam so I think I will be trying this out very soon! Good thing Oldest's fave color is green!;)

All That Glitters said...

That store looks like lots of fun!!! Congrats Sue!!!

Debbie said...

Congrats to the winner!

I sure hope I can come up with something inpiring soon. It's getting embarrassing!

The pesto looks marvelous!! The ingredients are so much up my alley. I did pretty well on herbs this year, but no parsley. Next year, I'm going to remember this!

Betsy B said...

The pesto looks great!

You have such a lovely home. I love all the attention to little details.

Kirsty Girl said...

Yum! You'll have enough parsley to last years there! haha

Kristi said...

HI Vanessa! And thank you for your sweet post! That pesto looks FANTASTIC! ANd what a beautiful boutique! Looking forward to looking around your blog! And I'm your newest follower! :)
Kristi

Anita Diaz said...

Oh how cute with the 2 rascals there! We had the little "sheriff" at our anniversary, so I know how that is! Those are precions moments! That looks so yummy, and I could actually make it. We have walnuts all over that we need to pick up here. I also grew parsley and basil, but I can never find pine nuts here. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

HI Vanessa and congrats to Sue on winning your giveaway!
OH, this pasta dish looks so good!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

becomingparis said...

Vanessa, this looks wonderful! ;) I stumbled onto your lovely site today and wanted to say hello! ;) I love your story behind this cozy site! ;) Certainly we all need to belong, and what better way to create a part of the story with an open door for others. hugs, Jenn

Jenny said...

I am going to try this. I would never have thought of this. I wonder if you could make cilantro pesto, too. That sounds different and yummy.

Sue said...

As Gomer Pyle would often say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!" I am so excited, Vanessa, and am anxious to see what you have selected as your give-away prize. * big smile* I'll e-mail you real soon.
I've made pesto from cilantro, but I knew it could be made with pretty much any other herb. Hey, as long as it has garlic, I'd love anything. LOL
hugs, Sue

Karen said...

Looks yummy! Reminds me of Olive Garden and I'm hungry right at the moment.
Karen

Miz Helen said...

Pesto and Pasta that is comfort food.
Your dish looks great.
Thanks for sharing.