Thursday, August 5, 2010

Do You Decorate With Confidence?

Are you one of those girls? You know, the ones who just know how to put it all together? I have a friend (she knows who she is) who can do the most perfectly imperfect pony-tail. The kind where it is just slightly tousled and messy and yet so sassy and hip at the same time. And now she has had the nerve to start adding some darling silk flowers to said pony-tails. Flowers she made herself! My pony-tails NEVER look like that!
They usually look more like this...

*You can tell by the baby in the front pack that
this was awhile ago.*
Now, granted, there isn't anything really WRONG about this pony-tail. Sleek, no bangs, but not very soft and tousled either. What I find interesting is that in the last 2-3 years as my own personal style has changed, so has my decorating. And, in both areas, I have become much more confident! I have always loved the classics, both in clothing and decorating.
But, branching out in my clothing style, embracing softer looks with more pattern and a few new trends thrown in has helped me do the same in my own home.
Now I have blouses like this in my closet...

Kinda fun and sassy right?

And I recently added this fabulous chair to my living room...

If you'll notice from yesterday's post it matches the Pier 1 cushion on my Hitchcock Chair!
Super fun, super sassy, splashes of color and so not what I would have picked out 2 years ago. Oh, I would have loved it and probably coveted it, visited it weekly, but I would not have felt daring enough to add it into my decor. And look how perfectly it goes with my window treatments!


Now I feel confident wearing this little number...

With black tights, some Spanx and knee-high black leather boots, I can wear this to church and not even carry my big mommy purse! No mushed crackers at the bottom for me please!

I put these up last week in my dining room to replace my basic brass sconces. I am beginning a process I like to call "Unstuffing the Stuffy" in that room.


Another great "Real Deals" find!

And I am loving the pops of bright color around my home like this...


What is the point of all of this, you ask?
Well, I still leave the house sometimes and wonder why on earth I chose that particular outfit and I still wander around my house and see areas that I need to tweak or soften. But, I am noticing that now, in my mid-30's, I have such a stronger sense of who I am. And, those moments of insecurity don't have the same hold on me anymore. I can approach life with confidence knowing that "He who began a good work in me, will be faithful to complete it"! Thank goodness He isn't done yet!

So, do you decorate with confidence? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this subject!

5 comments:

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

What a great post! All of your boldness is paying off! You have added some beautiful things to your decor...the chair and pillows are wonderful!

You go girl;)!

Enjoy!
Cathy

All That Glitters said...

I question everything I do! Sad but true! I'm really happy for you though branching out! You picked great things! I do where my hair up 98% of the time so my pony tail have to look good! lol!

All That Glitters said...

I just wanted to say you are too sweet and I also added you too! I forget to do that sometimes and I'm so glad you reminded me!

~Jennifer

Sharlotte said...

Hi Vanessa,
I really like the chair you've recently added to your home! The colors are so bright and cheerful. Love your new outfits as well! Thanks so much for sharing and stopping by to visit.
Sharlotte

Traci said...

I love everything in this post! That top is so sassy!! I know just what you mean about being more confident. Not that I don't question myself ALOT but not nearly as much as I used to.