Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Good Food, Good Weather and the Best Company!

Yankee Boy and I went away for the weekend! That's right, just the 2 of us, no rascals, no computers, no goldfish crackers, no "Wheels on the Bus" in the car. Pure bliss!
Where did we go? Here's a hint...

My wonderful husband won a prize trip from work for being so stinkin' cute...no wait...maybe it had to do with sales numbers or something like that. Anyway, we ended up getting a weekend away at the Holy Grail of Golf Resorts...

This is Bandon Dunes. I learned A LOT about it while we were there. Like, it is ranked among the top 5 golf courses in the country, it is one of the most challenging courses to play, it has holes that are right on the edge of cliffs looking down over the ocean and it has the best Cobb Salad I have ever had in my life! Seriously folks!
What did I do while Yankee Boy golfed? I did something I cannot remember having done in a very long time...I was alone for about 5 hours! Alone! I ate lunch...ALONE! I went to the beach...ALONE! I took a nap...ALONE! You get the picture.

This was my view while I ate lunch outside, reading a book, and enjoying my fateful run-in with the Cobb Salad. Imagine the most tender pieces of beef and chicken with blue cheese folded in and edible flowers mixed in with the freshest of greens! The smell of the ocean, the sun shining down on me, no one wanting me to get them anything or stealing food off my plate! Mine, all mine!

This was our own little cabin in the woods. There IS a benefit to the rain we get in the Northwest. The most lush green surroundings!

This was the lake that we drove past to get to our cabin in the woods.


I climbed over these huge sand dunes and discovered this beautiful spot!



This beautiful driftwood was all up and down the strip of beach.
Warm sand, warm sun, a new magazine, my very own package of Peanut M&M's to help offset the salad and, once again, ALONE!
I have to admit, though, that I was fighting missing my kiddos and thinking about how much fun they would have had at that beach! You never really stop being 'mommy' even if they aren't right there with you.

This lovely lady came out to bid us farewell as we headed on home to our beloved rascals...



So, when was the last time you were alone?

Not running errands, meeting up with girlfriends, doing housework, etc. But, really alone?
Try it, you might be surprised by how refreshing it can be and how when you reconnect with yourself and the One who created you, it makes it so much easier to connect with and care for those around you!
*I'm linking up with the Outdoor Wednesday Party over at A Southern Daydreamer*

10 comments:

Heather said...

But admit it, it would have been the bestest fun if I had been there with you...right? right? cricket..cricket.. Glad you had such a wonderful time away, you deserved it!

Maggie said...

Curiously, I'm alone today and tomorrow whilst DH is away on a business trip, just me & Mr Ben (cocker spaniel) visiting blogs and thinking... wow that looks like a great little cabin and the Cobb Salad sounds divine, and oh look at that sand, and I need to get a pedicure.............thanks for the virtual visit to the North West I had fun!
Maggie @ Normandy Life

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am very seldom alone as both Mr. Comforts of Home and I work out of our house. He is away on business today, and I am heading out to shop....

It sounds like you had a wonderful time!
Hugs,
Penny

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a great get-away. It's absolutely gorgeous there. It's nice to have some free time on your hands.

The deer is beautiful. We seem to be seeing a lot of them, including babies, here in the mountains of North Carolina this summer. I hope they don't eat my azalea leaves again.
Sam

Traci said...

It looks so pretty! I know you enjoyed yourself. I was by myself last weekend & I spent it painting my bathroom!! Although, it's not the same as your by yourself because I don't have any kids.

All That Glitters said...

I don't think I would know how to act!!! good for y'all!! I could only dream! lol!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

How nice for the two of you to get some alone time. Every couple should try and to that for the sake of the children, too. I use to sit alone like that too on many trips to resorts when my husband had business conferences. They were always in the best resorts all over.

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

How wonderful! I am a golf widow too...I don't mind at all! I have fun while he plays and then we have fun together! Everyone is happy!

I am so happy that ya'll had a chance to reconnect...so important when you have little ones around!

What a beautiful spot!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Linda said...

It sounds like you had a great time! What a cute little cabin and right near the beach...how wonderful!

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing about your special spot.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/