Monday, August 9, 2010

Powder Room Transformation

If you are visiting from Kim's party, this is one of my earliest posts and I thought it would fun to revisit it!

 Now that you have seen my Foyer, it is time we turn the corner to take a look at our downstairs bathroom makeover!
As with most of the rooms in this house, it wasn't that it was in such bad shape, it just needed some lovin' and a bit of a style boost!
Here is what it looked like before...

Wallpaper that was definitely not my style, and if you peek through the mirror you can see that it had a matching wall border in the shower/toilet area.
And, here is what it looks like now!



We kept the existing vanity for now but got a new light fixture, new faucet, new mirror (for only $20!) AND new wallpaper!
I decided that I liked the wallpaper idea in theory and found one that I fell in love with! Here is a closer look...

Beautiful buttery yellow damask pattern! It really helps to brighten up the space but, I don't recommend hanging wall paper after a glass of wine while listening to hits of the 80's with your hubby. Hysterical laughter and matching up seams don't mix well! 
Here is a look at the faucet before...

And, here is the replacement faucet...

It's "Restoration Hardware" but I found it online at Overstock for a fraction of the original price!
Here is a closer look at the new light fixture...
It has actually been with us for quite awhile, sitting in a box just waiting for it's turn to shine!
Here are some more details...

And, here is looking into the shower area where a pocket door separates it from the rest of the bathroom...
The border is no more, there are new oiled bronze fixtures and I found these curtain panels at TJ Maxx for $8 for the pair and used them to cover the shower doors and soften the space.
This rug is another Tuesday Morning find...

I also switched out the old vent cover for this new one which I found at Lowes for $12. I think it adds a nice "new home" touch to a "not so new home"!

These bird prints hang above the potty. They have done a lot of migrating throughout our homes but I think they have decided to nest here once and for all.

Isn't this the most darling plate rack? It was another Real Deals find and was the perfect addition to this small space.

Thanks for letting me take you a little bit further into my home!
From this Southern Girl at Heart,
Vanessa














30 comments:

Shirley said...

Oh my, the transformation is beautiful! I love all the things you did, even the wallpaper! lol. I have been taking it down everywhere, but I would use that pattern in my house.

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

OH I LOVE IT! It turned out beautifully! The wallpaper is scrumptious and all of your new fixtures are gorgeous!

The bird prints and rug are so pretty...they tie everything together so well!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

It looks wonderful! I love, love, love the new wallpaper!
Hugs,
Penny

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

You did an awesome job! I love everything you did! The wallpaper looks great and the accessories.

Traci said...

I love it! Especially the panels! So very pretty. Since you changed out the faucet on the sink, did you change the tub & shower fixtures as well? I can't decide what to do with mine.

Vanessa said...

Hi Traci! Actually, we left the shower fixture the same (chrome) because you don't see it with the panels covering it. Eventually we want to redo the entire shower area but for now this was a cheaper fix! All the other fixtures we switched to ORB though! We did have to change out our faucets in the master bath and did ORB there as well. A little bit more spendy but worth it! I'll show that one next time! :-)

All That Glitters said...

i love it!!!! Great idea to just use a curtain panel!!! Everything looks great!!!

Ashley said...

Very nice! I love the damask wallpaper!

KimMalk said...

I'm so glad you stopped at my blog so I could discover yours. You are doing a beautiful job with your home. I really like all of the additions to your bathroom, especially the mirror and wallpaper.

Carly@Humble Housekeeping said...

So glad you visted my blog...I love yours and I'm following. That wallpaper is to die for. I just love how you transformed the space!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Vanessa, This is a beautiful bathroom transformation! I love the new damask wallpaper...what a difference it made. XO, Sherry

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

I am always amazed at what a big difference simply changing the faucett makes. You did a great job!

Traci said...

Thanks for the info Vanessa! I'll probably just switch out the sink faucet too but not right now. I don't know if I can convince the hubby it's something he can do!!!

Stacey said...

I love how your bathroom turned out! You make great choices with the ORB and all the accessories. I definitely want to get rid of all my brass fixtures. Are you having to change doorknobs and everything too?

Vanessa said...

Hi Stacey! We left the door handles the brass and if you'll notice, the light fixture is actually brass too. I really like a mix of tones and textures in my house. I think it adds more interest! Thanks for the sweet comments!

Pamela said...

Your bath redo turned out lovely! I love the wall paper and new light fixture!

Vickie said...

So pretty. Love the vent cover. I joined your blog.

Melissa Miller said...

WOW!!! Vanessa it's very pretty! I LOVE the wallpaper. You did a great job on the redo.

Happy week! ~Melissa :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Thanks Vanessa for joining. Your bathroom looks great. You like to put lamp shades on your fixtures, too like me. I love that look.

Angela said...

Great job. Love the wallpaper and the tile on the floor. I have an all red powder room, even painted the ceiling, door and trim deep red and have loved it for a long time but am dying to try wallpaper and that yellow pattern you have is stunning. It would look pretty with wood floors too, but I like your tile.

Erin said...

Great changes, I just love dark faucets!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Vanessa, I know I commented when I first saw this post back in August. I just saw your bath at Kim's new party and had to tell you again how much I love this. The wallpaper and the new fixtures are gorgeous.
Hugs, Sherry

Sarah said...

Great new look for your powder room!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It is gorgeous. I love the wallpaper, such a pretty pattern and I adore the color. YOur new light, mirror and faucet are perfect. Beautiful accessories. So pretty. Hugs, Marty

The Inspired Nest said...

I just love your bathroom! The wallpaper is gorgeous and the light fixture is screams luxary! Just beautiful!
Lacy

From the Old InkWell said...

I really love the new wallpaper! I have been thinking of doing something similiar in my powder room, almost did it in my dining room, but changed my mind. Love the warm look of your paper with the light on it.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Vanessa!
Love your powder room!!! I LOVE the wallpaper! It is elegant and beautiful!!! I love the new faucet too~ and the light fixture, and the ..... everything!!! :)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Absolutely fabulous transformation! I really love how everything ties together. And I'm so inspired to do my guest bath fixtures in the oil bronze finish.

:)
ButterYum

Kim said...

Bee-u-ti-ful Vanessa! Love it. I've been on the hunt for a similar mirror. Mind if I ask where you got that one for just $20?? Have a fab day!
xoxo,
Kim

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

You did a great job... that bathroom is so pretty! I love the wallpaper and the new fixtures, especially.