Monday, August 16, 2010

Left Into the Living Room!


*Joining another Metamorphosis Monday Party! and Show and Tell Friday at Romantic Home. Also joining Kelly's Korner!*
When you first walk through our front door, you can turn left into the living room, turn right into the office, or straight ahead to the family/kitchen area. I'm willing to show one picture of the office but no more than that! Why? Because I think our office is kinda boring. I am really grateful that we even have this space (Yankee Boy was doing work on the floor or on the dining room table before), but there are some touches I want to add and they are low on the financial priority list so this is all you get for now!
Office Before...

And office, well, not after but just for now...


Now, let's turn left!
What do you think of when you here the term "Living Room"? It's funny, because most of us don't do our actual "living" in there! And yet, the part of me that loves all things traditional with a hint of formality, still loves the fact that I have one of these rooms. Its true that it is mostly used by me to read a book in my favorite corner, or when we have parties and don't want to be surrounded by toys. But, my heart still thrilled when I first saw this space because it was very hard for me to imagine myself living in a home that didn't have one!
Here is the only 'before' photo I could find of the Living Room.
You can really only see one little corner of it but it gives you an idea. And let me just say right off the bat, we inherited the green carpet from the previous owner and at this point, we are just having to work with it folks!

Here are some afters...




I had originally made these drapes for our old house and I love them! It is a plaid moire fabric that I scrimped and saved for and I even taught myself how to make them with a heavy lining so they would hang just right.



One of my recent additions was these cubes that we use as a coffee table...

But, they also do double duty as extra seating...


The tray was an "Aunt Bee's" purchase and really helps to add some character.


Here is a look at what the sconces over the fireplace
 looked like before...


And, here is what they look like now...

They are from Ballard Designs (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ballard!)and are the same as the ones in the Foyer only with different shades. Here is another look...



This is my favorite reading corner


I can pull up one of my handy-dandy cubes to use as a foot-stool!

My Daddy gave me this painting as a gift before I got married. There is a poem on the back called "A Daughter" that I will have to share with you some other time. It's hard to make it through it without crying and I happen to be missing my family at this present moment!




I fell in love with this fabric years ago and still love it today! It made me finally teach myself how to sew decorator pillows with fringe! It was so worth it!


I love the color in these prints!




I have to show you that photo up close...

Is that boy's face not just absolutely precious!



Who are those young wipper-snappers? They are getting ready to celebrate 12 years of wedded bliss in a couple of months!

Here is one last look for good measure. This is the view looking back towards the dining room.

Thank you for allowing me to indulge myself a little bit by giving you this tour of my home. I look forward to next Monday for even more transformations to be revealed!

32 comments:

bj said...

OMGosh, girl....your living room is BEAUTIFUL. I LOVE your beautiful drapes...it is all so colorful and cheery. You've done a magnificent job of decorating here. Just lovely.
Now, I'm going over to Ballard's and see those wall lights...LOVE THEM!

O, and I'm your newest follower. :)
Please stop by when you have time.
hugs, bj

All That Glitters said...

Your home is just beautiful!!!! Happy 12 years!!!

Jennifer

Lindsey @ FRESH AIR + FRESH FOOD said...

Ah, this takes me back to "A Walk with Jane Austin." That was the title right? You are such a wonderful hostess and I haven't made my stone fruit cake in a while. I'll have to whip one up to put on the blog and remember our book club while I bake!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how gorgeous your home is! Your drapes are so beautiful and you made them! :) Your furnishings are so pretty too!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I love it! What a wonderful room! The curtains are gorgeous...I love all of the color! You have created a really warm and inviting space!

I feel the same way about my living room! It really is rarely used but I love having it...it makes me happy that is always neat and tidy and that it is the first room you see! A room mostly for me;)!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh your home is just stunning. I love the yellow and your decorations, furniture, drapes and all of your accessories are just perfect. Very pretty. You have done such a beautiful job of making your home feel warm and inviting. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Vanessa, it is just lovely. I love the colors you used. Those ottomans that form the coffee table are great. I love the fabric. I love Ballard's too just not their prices. I have several pillows of theirs that I bought on sale. Love their fabric choices. I like the last photo looking back to the dining room the most.

Angie said...

Your living room is beautiful! I would feel right at home in there.

Melanie said...

I did talk to your sister:) When she said Florence, I was SO excited because that is where we are moving in SC! I was thinking that I would already have a friend there. LOL!

Let's talk about your house. I LOVE scones, we use our living room for an office, and I have that same book that is on your cubes! I think that we are kindred spirits:) I would think you were southern. Plaid curtains, pillows, shades on the chandy.....LOL! I love it.

sheri said...

Your home is beautiful. I'm a traditionalist at heart and girl, you're tugging at my heartstrings. And wanna know a little secret...we have the same green carpet. I think. We just moved in last month and we almost didn't buy the house because the whole house is done in this horrid tile except for the bedrooms which are in this green carpet. But the carpet is brand smacking new and the practical side of me is like "do you want wood floors or a nice, refreshing pool next summer when it's over 100 again??" Pool. Pool. Pool....

sheri said...

and the link above doesn't work - i fat fingered the keystroke - it's Sheri from http://thesimasek-kiblerproject.blogspot.co

Thanks for visiting me over my house :)

Melissa Miller said...

WOWEEEE!!! So, so stunning! Vanessa your home is truly amazing. Thank you very much for showing us a glimpse. You're a sweetie!

Blessings, ~Melissa :)

Pamela said...

Wow girl! You totally made that green carpet work! We have such similar taste! I think I mentioned before how I have the same moire plaid fab in our living room. I like how you continued it thru several rooms in your home to tie them all in together! Beautiful room that does make you just want to curl up with a good book!

René said...

I enjoyed seeing all of your touches. The tray on your coffee table is so pretty.

-Rene

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a great eye you have for design. Your home is really lovely and the curtains are the first thing that caught my attention. Love them! Hugs, Sherry

xinex said...

I love your home, it is so warm. I love every little detail that you have added. The pic that your dad gave you is so pretty, what a wonderful dad to be so thoughtful...Christine

Diann @ the Thrifty Groove said...

Oh, everything looks so pretty! I love the soft yellows. It is such an iviting place! Very nicely done!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh it is such a beautiful room. Love the color of the walls, and those cubes are such a great idea. That drapery fabric is gorgeous, and I'm so impressed with your sewing skills. What a sweet wedding picture with the shadows. Thank you so much for linking this beautiful space to Favorite Things Sat. laurie

Judi said...

How lovely your home is. I think your office looks very functional...and your drapes and curtains are so lovely..I like the ones in the kitchen also.

Your home looks very cozy...The cube seats are a great idea! I could use some like that.

Love the fringe on your pillows...your colours. Great pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Stop by and visit when you have a chance..
Judi

Stacy said...

I love your home!!! hands down LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, your living room is so warming and welcoming! I love it and it looks like it could be featured in a magazine.

Taylor said...

Very pretty...I love your curtains!!

Mary Vigil said...

I love the yellow paint - yellow is my most beloved color! Great room!

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness! I love the colors you chose for the living room! And the wall sconces, so beautiful!

Amanda M. said...

Oh my word - I clicked over from Kelly's Korner - and I just LOVE this room. GORGEOUS and it's so inviting and cozy and beautiful all at the same time!

twinkietotmom said...

I love your living room...the colors are perfect!

Muffy said...

OK...your's is the prettiest living room I have seen so far! Love your decorations & glad to see a departure from BROWN!!! :)

Unknown said...

You have a terrific living space.

All That Glitters said...

I'm leaving another comment!!! I just wanted to tell you I'm getting some of those plaid curtains from Walmart!! I'm in love with them!!!

Dining Delight said...

I came over from your Mst Bdrm tour to your living room (noticed it on your sidebar) and I'm so glad I did! Your decorating style is SO what I LOVE! (if only I had a house as wonderful as yours to work with!)You have made some excellent choices and created a stylish yet welcoming room! I'm off to check out more rooms.....

DD

Kim said...

Wowee!! Such a gorgeous room girl. I just love your taste and those drapes are to die for! Can't wait to see more of your beautiful home!
xoxo,
Kim

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

I am also a Southern girl - living in the Midwest. I grew up in East TEXAS and live in Nebraska.

I am new to your blog... and love it. Beautiful home!

Susan www.ugogrrl.com