Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Southern Take on a Northwest Yard


Technically speaking, I should subsribe to this...


(sorry the image is a bit blurry)

See where it says "Living in the West"? Well, that's me. The Northwest acutally! But, still, this wonderful magazine tells me all about what is happening on this side of the country, what to grow in my garden, where to go on vacation in my area, etc. And yet, my heart belongs to another...




You can't help who you love, right?
I will probably never go to most of the vacation spots, restaurants, historical locations or any of the many other wonderful places I read about in its pages each month. And yet, my heart thrills when it arrives in my mailbox!
And I even grow many things in my own yard that they suggest you grow in your true Southern yards.
Like this...


This is my snowball tree...well its technically a bush that has now grown-up into a beautiful tree. It didn't produce any blooms this year due to a pruning that took place in the fall that we now refer to in our house as "THE INCIDENT!" We speak about it in hushed voices due to the trauma it caused this gal upon the discovery of it. We have hope for next year!
This is my Lacecap Hydrangea and I love it! It is one of the very few things that we didn't rip out when we overhauled the yard.

And here is my most recent Hydrangea addition
And while I LOVE these Southern touches in my Northwest landscaping, I have discovered that I am also drawn
 towards the sentimental.


We planted this Jasmine to remind us of the one we had at our very first home (condo, actually) in Southern California. Whenever we smell it wafting in through the windows it takes us back to those very sweet and special first months as Newlyweds!

Adding the Daphne ensures that the breeze will always carry a subtle sweet scent which often reminds us of our first home here in Oregon. We added this wonderful plant to our landscaping there and they really flourish in this climate.



What I have discovered in the process of creating a Landscape that I love, is that it really is the mix of all of these things that is the most pleasing to me. The hints from my past have blended together seamlessly with the look we are trying to create in our current home...like this Agapanthus for example.

Every time I see them, I am reminded of the house I lived in while in High School in SoCal. My parents planted them under the front bay window and they are forever emblazaned on my mind and I always think of my family when I look at them.
In Landscaping, as in Decorating, surrounding yourself with those things that conjure up precious memories, will truly allow you to achieve a look that will please your eye and your heart for years to come!
*I'm joining the Outdoor Wednesday Party over at




13 comments:

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Everything is beautiful...I laughed at your "incident" only because my husband trimmed down our unwieldy snowball bush 2 years ago, and I haven't seen a flower on it since. I feel your pain (lol).

Traci said...

Your yard is very pretty. I totally agree with you about planning what you love. It makes me happy to look outside & see the abundance of all different plants & flowers!!

Unknown said...

your flowers make me wish i have my won garden. they're all gorgeous!

Val said...

Gorgeous yard and my 2 all time favorite magazines!!!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I love it! I so agree with planting what you love. I love to look at my flower beds and think, "This one is from my friend, this one comes from the yard where I grew up, etc."

decorating diva {aka deanna} said...

hi vanessa, thank-you so much for visiting my blog and becoming a follower! i am always excited to have new cottage guests! your garden and your home are very pretty! thanks for the sweet comments too!
~decorating diva

colorchic said...

Hi Vanessa, Thank for visiting Color Chic today! Alway fun to hear from a neighbor... well somewhere in Salem anyway! Your yard is lovely and very colorful... don't you just love the scent of Jasmine when in bloom? I really need to work on getting a few Hydrangeas in my yard... I love them! Have a great day and stop by and say hello again sometime. Julie

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

Stunning! I am your newest follower.
Have a great day!
Bonnie :)

Linda said...

You have a great yard! I love both of those magazines and subscribe to them both! I believe you should try and plant what pleases you but try the native plants as well. I have been enjoying so many of the California natives this year as we have neen working on our son's yard as well as ours.

René said...

You do have many of the same plants that we have here. Your hydrangeas are gorgeous and I love the jasmine. Ours croaked last winter, sniff.

-Rene

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Vanessa, thanks so much for stopping by. I am glad you enjoyed my blog, and I just finished putting up a huge post on my gardening adventures. I have several hydrangeas, and one is the lace one, although mine if white. I don't know about yours but mine has grown absolutely huge. Actually all my hydrangeas have grown very well, and I can see yours have too. I love what you did with your garden. I am your newest follower, and look forward to seeing what you have planned for those fireplaces,,, he he. If you don't mind, I would LOVE if you wanted to share a few of your lovely ideas on my linky party. It's really new, but I am hoping that you will keep me in mind. Thanks again, Vanessa :)

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Aha!
So, you DO love hydrangeas, too!!
I have been reading through your delightful posts and decided that I like you!
I am gonna be your friend, too ;)
Hugs,
~me

Diane Foster said...

Just found your blog...the title caught my eye...last year my husband and I moved from Tennessee to Montana (to be closer to our daughter). I, too, subscribe to Sunset, but get most excited when I receive Southern Living. (and, on my last trip "home" to Tennessee, I packed Lirope (monkey grass) in my suitcase. Happy I didn't have to explain that one.