Monday, August 2, 2010

Let's Back It Up! A Before and After...

*If you are visiting from the Feathered Nest party, this is one of my earliest posts that I thought would be fun to link up!*

How rude of me! I realized that in my eagerness to show off the rascal's rooms, I have never properly invited you in to see the rest of the house. Let's begin at the beginning, shall we?
We have made many changes to our home in the last 2 years and the entry was critical to me as it is, of course, your first impression!
Here is what it looked like before...

What is your first thought when you see that bannister?
If you are anything like me it was,
"I could hang some serious garland on that Puppy!"
It made my Christmas-lovin' heart beat a little faster!

Very white walls were what greeted us in most of the house. I love the look of the slate but OH MY, does anyone else have this in their house? It is VERY hard to clean! Not sweeping, Cleaning!
 I shred 4 Swiffer pads each time I clean it!
But, I digress...

Here is another view of the entry before

That is our fabulous realtor Nancy, whom I know would just LOVE this action shot of her being posted for all to see! 
These are the wall lights that greeted us...



Sorry it's such a grainy photo, but really, do you want to see these lights more clearly? I didn't think so!

And now, here is the after! Welcome to my home!




Here is another view...



The walls were painted using Olympia Premium Paint in "Dusty Yellow". Painting this 2 story space was one of the few things we have hired someone to do. And, eventually, the green carpet will be going "bye-bye"!

I found this huge rug at Tuesday Morning and I love the way the red warms up the slate and ties into the rest of the house decor.


And this is a close up of my new sconces. I think the shades are my favorite part!


Working with the angles of the space posed a few challenges but I think I finally got it right!


This antique Drum Table was a great find at one of my favorite stores "Serendipity". It nestles just perfectly into this area and is great for displaying seasonal decor.

I have an affinity for English hunting scenes. They always have colors that work well with my decor and second to wanting to be a true Southern Gal, I wish I were a true English Gal, although I'm sure they don't say 'gal' over there! 

Does anyone else find a niche to be a challenge? I did and I tried many different arrangements before I landed on this one. Less was more in this case! A large plant in a beautiful pot with 2 Botanicals framing it and softening the lines of the corner. The prints were a Home Goods find! Please, Home Goods, if you are reading this, please come closer to me so I don't have to drive an hour to get to you! I love you so very much!

And, last but not least, here is the view looking back down from the landing. This is where my challenge comes in...
I love how the topiaries help balance out the height of the room and they are great for decorating at Christmas. It all comes back to that, you know? But, here is my dilemma...
See that big brass chandelier? It's kinda hard to miss!
What to replace it with? Oil Rubbed Bronze or Aged Gold/Brass that looks more like the sconces? What do you think????

And finally, this is one of my most favorite finds and it has quite a story for such a little chair...
I'll tell you more about it in my next post!







21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanessa! Your home is beautiful! I found you from Thrifty Decor Chick's blog...just looking for more blogs to visit, thought I would drop by and say hello! :)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Vanessa, your foyer looks great. I love that vignette you created with the drum table and chair and artwork. I love hunt scenes, too. My front sitting room is all about hunt scenes and English country style. If you haven't seen that room look on my sidebar for my sitting room. Same room with the red sofa in my header. What a great rug from Tuesday Morning.

All That Glitters said...

I love everything!!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh how I love your entry. You walk right into my living room and that is not a very good entry. This is just stunning. I took the brass light fixtures in my house and painted them with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint by Rustoleum. That was 5 yrs. ago and they are still fabulous. You might give that a try. The fixture is stunning and would be great painted. Beautiful entry and I love all of your decorations. Hugs, Marty

Traci said...

The entry is great! I love how you've decorated it. I vote for oil rubbed bronze on the chandelier. Thanks for stopping by to visit!

The Blackwood Cottage said...

Great transformation!
machelle

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

What an amazing transformation! Stopping by from Metamorphosis Monday! I painted our brass chandelier with the Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze and it turned out just awesome! You can see it in my dining room on my blog.
Go for it!

Heather@Gourmet Meals for Less said...

Love it..of course! Looks like you gotta convince "yankee boy" to take that big ole' chandelier down...good luck with that! ;o)

Denise Marie said...

very nice! Way to make it yours. I think of prom and homecoming pics for the kids too. :0)

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Thanks so much for becoming a follower!! You have a new follower now, too!! Don't you just love to see new faces pop up???

Vanessa said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone! I agree with Denise Marie that the staircase is going to be great for those special occasion photo ops but I try not to imagine my kiddos at that stage as it makes me want to cry! Stay tuned for what we end up deciding about our chandelier!

Pamela said...

I love oil rubbed bronze as well but I really think that since you have the sconces already that you should stay in the keeping with those. Now with that being said I think that your chandy could totally be revamped for minimal cost if you can figure a way to get up to it on your own. We just received a quote for $350 to change our foyer chandy out to a thrifty treasure redo that cost all of $25. Needless to say it is still sitting out in the garage. I think whatever you choose to do will be lovely! I am also loving your fountain score at Lowes!
P.s We used the same fab for our living room curtains!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

LOVE your rug and the entry is beautiful. What a huge difference in your before and after pics. It looked so cold and stark before. Beautiful job!

Come by and enter my $100 giveaway.

Nancy

Karen said...

This is the only room I've had time to look at so far and I sooooo love it! We could be frands! Tuesday morning been there and done that one yesterday and today. See ya!

Karen said...

This is the only room I've had time to look at so far and I sooooo love it! We could be frands! Tuesday morning been there and done that one yesterday and today. See ya!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Wow! You really made your foyer sing! I love the new sconces! Gorgeous!!

Blondie's Journal said...

I have such a small foyer and would love one as large as yours!! So far you have done a great job...love the topiaries! I vote with the other ladies that the gorgeous chandelier be painted with the oil rubbed bronze. I have been wanting to do that yo ours! Good luck!

XO,
Jane

Vicki said...

Vanessa this turned out so well! The chair and sconces are definitely my favorite! Time to distress that chandelier! I wish I had advice. The staircase in your home is just gorgeous. It is huge! I absolutely love it. Such a beautiful home and family.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi Vanessa~
I love your entry foyer!! I would have thought garland immediately too!! :) I love the warm color on the walls- really makes a difference from the before. It is really beautiful! I love your topiaries too! I have a thing for topiaries...don't get me started... Thanks for sharing this at my party this week! :)

Amy Chalmers said...

This was a great before and after post! I have painted a brass chandy matte black with great success. YOu could do black or bronze and then add some crystal drops to it..find them at chandelierparts.com. It is a good place for all things chandy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanessa! I just love to find new blogs...part of why I like the link parties. Your home is beautiful. I'd never want to leave that kitchen. Gorgeous! You made the foyer shine, too. Love your little drum table and Hitchcock chair. I've sold quite a few of those chairs, in my booth. They are loaded with character. Thanks for following along and I would love to do the same. Oh, and had to laugh at your remark to "Home Goods". I have the same problem :)

Have a great weekend!
~Michelle