Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nifty Fifty and Thank You

Thrifty Decor Chick!
First of all, let me say a giant Thank You to the 51 new friends (as of this morning!) I have made here in Blogland! I call you friends because you have become just that and because sometimes saying "Followers" sounds a little bit like we joined a cult or something!
Now, on to the REVEAL!

I was losing all track of time as I poured over past posts at the Thrifty Decor Chick. It is easy to do as Sarah has so many fabulous ideas! I mean, I could spend hours looking at this gal's blog and probably have!
And then, there it was...the answer to my dilemma! Could it be that something that I was agonizing over could be so simple? And, could it be that I am so dumb that I didn't think of it sooner? The answer is YES to both those questions! I didn't care what kind of reflection it was on my Decorating Smarts, I was just thrilled to know that I could do it!
What is it, you ask?
Remember my Weekend Project I gave you a peek at?

I'm not totally opposed to Brass in some spaces, but these brass bars on my fireplaces were not doing them any justice. They were scratched and beat up and just didn't quite go with the Decor around them. So, what to do? That is what I wondered for 2 years! 2 YEARS PEOPLE!
That is where Sarah came in!
She had the answer and it was to simply Spray Paint them!
Ummmm...duh! That is what I said to myself after I picked myself off the floor at the realization that I could do this whole thing for just the cost of a can of spray paint!
So, I set to work...
Sarah painted hers an Oiled Bronze but with my dark woodwork and tile, I knew I needed to stick with something a bit lighter. I also wanted it to still have a reflective quality.
I looked and looked and then...
EUREKA!




I found this Copper color with a Metallic sheen!
I also picked up that handy-dandy sanding block which is Reusable! How long has this been around? Man, I am out of it!
Next step was removing all of the brass bars. They just popped right out as easy as could be.


They all received a very light sanding before...


I Spray Painted their little hearts out!
I let them dry for awhile (probably a couple of hours or so just to make sure we didn't end up with smudges) and then...
They were ready to make their debut!
Here is the Living Room Fireplace before...


Here is the After...


Am I the only one hearing the Hallelujah Chorus right now?
Look at how it picks up the tones in the tile surround!

Here is the Family Room Fireplace Before...

Here is the After...


Soft, subtle, still brings in some reflective light and
Oh so much better!
I have some of the spray paint left and I was feeling a little "Spray Happy" afterwards and began looking around for other things to cover in Copper.
It may have just been the fumes though!

So, once again, let me just say...
THANK YOU THRIFTY DECOR CHICK
and
GOD BLESS YOU!


I'm linking to the parties at...
Domestically Speaking
It's So Very Cheri
The Shabby Chic Cottage
My Romantic Home
Flaunt It Friday

18 comments:

Heather said...

Love it! Love it! Love it! Makes me want to grab a can of spray paint and attack all of the brass in my house. Beautiful job!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Looks great Vanessa! Really makes a difference in the look of the fireplace!

Sheri @ www.careergirlinterrupted.com said...

oh my goodness. SO much better. Thank you for your kind comments this morning on my blog - and please please YES, feature away!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Yes! They look fabulous now!! Great job. I just love spray paint.
Hugs,
Penny

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Wow! It looks great! Funny what a little paint will do;)!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Melissa Miller said...

That looks fabulous! Great job! :)

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

That looks great! Much better than the brass. I have been wanting to paint the brass on mine but ours is a wood burning fireplace insert and gets WAY too hot. So I have to use the heat paint. It doesn't come in any nice colors....so I guess it will all be black!!

All That Glitters said...

You go girl!!! Those look great!!! What a big difference!

Anita Diaz said...

I am amazed by the difference! I would never have thought copper, and it's juts perfect! I was inspired by your built-in vignette to change the china cabinet my husband is building me to include an open display area like yours instead of all glassed in.

Lindsey @ FRESH AIR + FRESH FOOD said...

Don't you just looooooove spray paint? I keep cans and cans of it whenever I need a little asthetic therapy. So instant gratification you know . . .

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Vanessa, that does look better toned down like that. Good job.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Vanessa, Much, much better! The copper looks great with the tile.
xo, Sherry

Debbie said...

No... you are NOT the only one doing the Hallelujah chorus!! This is wonderful, and I can't believe that I have never seen copper paint used before. It's perfect for this application.

Now, my eyes are roaming around my room looking for something to make a little coppery. How unique. How pretty!

Don't you just love spray paint.
I mean, seriously, it ranks right up there with control top panty hose!

Vanessa said...

Debbie you crack me up! I never would have thought to compare spray-paint to control top panty hose but they are up there among the best inventions EVER! :-)
Thanks to all of you for your sweet comments!
Vanessa

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

This looks great! I've never seen copper spray paint before. Glad you shared this project.

PS Thank you for stopping over to visit at The Tiny Tudor today. I look forward to participating in Inspiration Friday next week! Now I just need to get inspired : )

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

LOVE it! Love that color -- not too shiny, not too dark. Perfect!

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

It looks amazing! Great job. Have a great weekend!
Bonnie :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Vanessa!!!
xoxo
Julie